|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 161 or Next - Page 163
It was during his mmrstry 1953-1956 that the message was taken to the adults as well as to the children and the young folks of Ukrainian .parentage.
St. Andreui'« Crescent Heights Presbyterian Church, Mr. W. Logi, Pastor
St. Andrew's Crescent Heights Presbyterian Church began with surveys conducted during 1956 and 1957. It would seem to have had a real Biblical beginning; the first services were held in a large tent and even the tent was a borrowed one.
In March, 1957, The General Board of Missions of The Pres byterian Church in Canada appointed Mr. Robert C. Culley as a student minister. The early work consisted of visitation in the general area of the west end of the City of Portage La Prairie.
The first organized work was a Church Vacation School held during the summer of 1957, conducted by Mr. Culley under the Interim Moderatorship of Rev. H. L. Henderson.
The work proceeded rapidly and with excellent response. At the turning of the "first sod", Mrs. S. E. Simpson represented the ladies of the congregation while Mr. Harvey Tarr, a member of the Kirk Session of First Presbyterian Church, represented the congregation as an "assessor" elder.
The new building, constructed by Mr. J. E. Johnson of Minnedosa was moved to the site at 17th Street S.W. and Saskatchewan Avenue. The service of dedication was held on the opening day Sunday December 1, 1957. Rev. Rex Krepps represented the Presbytery of Brandon at the Dedication. Mr. E. C. Mellen and Mr. Harvey Tarr represented the Board of Trustees. Others taking part in the ceremony included; Rev. H. Crump reading from First Kings Chapter 8; Mr. D. Mitchell reading Ephesians Chapter 2 verses 13 to 22; Rev. E. Seress (who at the time was minister of St. Stephens Hungar ian Congregation in Portage la Prairie) read from St. Matthew's Gos pel chapter 1 verses 12 to 16; and Rev. H. L. Henderson who represented the Church Extension Committee as Chairman was over seer of the proj ect.
As soon as the building was dedicated, many people presented gifts; a Baptismal Font, Communion Table, Hymn Books, Light Fix tures, Pulpit Bible, Pulpit Desk, Bibles for the pews, Concrete side walks, Electric Chimes, chairs and pews and numerous other gifts.
S1. Andrew's Crescent Heights gave its name to the whole area of the west end of the City of Portage la Prairie, beginning at 12th Street and extending to the west limits of the City. It is situated in a district which is growing at a very quick rate.