|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 180 or Next - Page 182
THE MANITOBA HOME
In 1889-90 when the Institution shown here was built, it was given the una ttractive name "Home of Incura bles."
On Feb. 18, 1898, when Dr. Thos. M. Milroy sent in his annual report to Han. J. W. Sifton, Inspector of Public Institutions, Win nipeg, Mun., he described the building, conditions, and forms of disease of the inmates. (By this time an addition was being made to the Institution.)
The report states that the number of patients at that time was 57. Total attendance for the year had been 68. Nine had died during the year. Causes of death were given as: three of exhaustion, one of convulsions, one of cerebral softening, one of pneumonia, one of acute bronchitis, one of cerebral haemorrhage and one of Bright's disease.
An interesting sentence in the report states, "You will observe that most of the deaths were aged patients, only one patient being under forty-three years of age." This would lead one to believe that anyone who exceeded the age of 43 years, in those days, was considered 'aged'!
Dr. Milroy described the new addition as he saw it thusly: "The new addition is a very creditable building, being well constructed and every attention having been paid to sanitary detail. The addition makes the Home a much more complete Institution and will add to the comfort of the patients and very materially assist in the manage ment. The construction and arrangement of the old building in many