|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 190 or Next - Page 192
work in this area, suggested this as a priority project. This was in the Spring of -1966.
The Kinsmen Club of Portage la Prairie, shortly after, assumed the responsibility of paying the sum of $7,000 required to purchase a home at 104 - 3rd St. N.W. This, being a two storey, five bed room, older home, required extensive renovations. The local Mental Retardate Association with the assistance of other charitable organi zations and clubs, supplied the materials and the Kinsmen under took the physical renovations of the home.
During the period of six months, fifty-three work parties were held, involving 795 work hours, and approximately $3,000 extra was spent.
The Kinettes deserve praise for the part they played in this project. They undertook and finished the complete furnishing of one of the rooms in the home.
It was with a sense of relief and pride that this home was turned over to the Association for Retarded Children, who now ad minister it. Ten young, moderately retarded adults moved into Kin Glen on March 15th, 1968, under the supervision of house mother, Mrs. Dorothy Frie.
The name 'Kin Glen' embraces the first three letters of 'Kins men' in recognition of the club as sponsors of the project, and 'Glen' in honor of Dr. Glen Lowther, who was the driving force in getting the project off the ground.
PORTAGE HEALTH UNIT
The Portage la Prairie Health Unit was officially opened on January 19, 1946, with Dr. Morley Elliott, then Deputy Minister of Health, as the guest speaker.
During the first few months, the work of the Health Unit was promoted by Dr. Chas, Manly who was the first Medical Director; by Howard Daniels, Sanitary Inspector; and by the nursing staff, Misses Ethel Elder, Phyllis Hadland, Della Robertson, and Miss 1. Pearson. These members of Staff spoke at many meetings to intro duce the policies of the Unit. The first stenographer was Miss Mary Gordon of this ci ty.
The following is a list of Medical Directors of the Portage Health Unit since its commencement in 1946: