This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire

Previous - Page 193 or Next - Page 195


The Portage 1£1 Prairie and district committee of the Canadian Institute for the Blind was formed on April 24, 1945. The aim of this committee was to give help to the blind of Portage and district by visiting them, investigating and finding new cases and assisting them as much as possible. During the C.N.I.B. drives for funds this Portage group play an important part canvassing.

The following will give a partial picture of a few of their other appreciated activities:

A dinner for the blind is held at Christmas, prepared and served, in the Elks Hall, by the ladies of the Royal Purple. At this dinner a member of each organization who has canvassed for funds during the Drive is invited to attend in order to meet and get acquainted with the blind. Members of the Business and Professional Women distribute baskets of fruit and candy.

In the summer, a picnic in the form of a dinner is held in the Elks Hall. This is prepared, served and donated by the Ladies of the Royal Purple.

Books in braille and records are arranged for the blind through the Winnipeg office of the organization. School books have been pre­ pared for the students who are so afflicted to help them in their studies.

A few of the known charter members are: Mr. C. W. Beese, Mrs. Hugh Moran, Mr. H. G. Prior, Mrs. Gerry Elliott and Mrs. Jack Bates.


As every new community gets its start and grows various in­ d us tries and business firms move in to play their part in the life of the village. So it was in Portage In Prairie, as with every pioneer settlement, and among the most important businesses of the day was the drug store. Portage has had the services of a thriving drug business for 88 years.

The Marquette Drug Store esta blished in 1881 and located at the south extremity of Main Street is described as one of the first pharmacies in the Portage settlement. It was operated as Lakeman & Company. Doctor Macklin who had arrived in the district about that time, associated with Mr. Lakeman. Mr. Lakeman withdrew from the company the following year and the business was continued as Macklin & Co. No further information is given regarding this firm.