|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 221 or Next - Page 223
the present site of the Golf Club, which was then a pasture field. Parts of it were used as a dumping ground at that time. There were two narrow sloughs running through it as well. Only optimistic, enthusiastic golfers could foresee a future for such a sitel
A lease for five years was arranged and the Club was formed with H. M. Dunham as its first president, H. D. Sparling its first secretary and a board of governors of sixteen members.
A great part of the original work was done by the members.
The course opened with the first ball being driven by W. H. Burns. Needless to say, the course was very primitive in its first years. The capital to build it and maintain it was exceedingly meagre. However, interest grew in the game and in 1925 the property was purchased and the Club was incorporated as the Portage Golf Club Limited, together with the issue of shares.
The Rowing Club House was purchased and moved along the Lake to become the first Golf Club House.
Gradually, all of the scrap iron and debris was covered and grass planted over it. The small sloughs were drained and hundreds of trees were planted. Next came beautiful grass greens, a water system and a new, impressive Club House.
In recent years a golf professional has been attached to the Club and the membership has grown to between 400 and 500.
The Portage la Prairie golf course is considered to be one of the best and most picturesque nine hole courses in the Province and is one of the city's finest recreational assets.
Although the Portage Club has not produced any individual Provincial winners, it has produced many top notch golfers, and from time to time they have performed well in various tournaments and have won several inter-club team competitions. The Club's annual tournament, for many years, was contested by the top golfers of the Province.
The local Club established the first and only left-handers tourna ment in the Province, known annually as "The Canadian Left Handel'S Tournament" and it has often been described as the largest in Canada.
Several local members have served on the Provincial Governing Body known as The Manitoba Golf Association. The Portage Club was honored in 1957 by the awarding of one of the few honorary