|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 241 or Next - Page 243
It is impossible to estimate the number of children that have learned to skate and have been made healthier and happier citizens since South Side Centre had its humble beginning in the Bell garden.
Mr. Addie Bell has passed away. His good deeds live on to perpetuate his memory. No greater tribute could be paid to any man.
The picture shown on the previous page was taken when the South Side Pee Wees won the city Pee Wee title (1968-1969). It is indicative of the sports minded groups of boys, of which there are several, that we have in our city. Some day, if they move far away, they may look at this picture, think of their team-mates and recall their happy hours at Southside.
THE WEST END COMMUNITY CLUB
Today the 'Nest End Community Club is a thriving organization serving this part of the city in recreational activities for its young people. Many volunteers make up the club working in varied capacities.
In 1949, the club was first formed by a few ambitious persons.
The first clubhouse was a freight car located on 9th St. S.W. and the club operated as a skating rink, with a few hockey teams. The first Pres. was Ray Dawes of the West End Athletic Club, as it was then called. The club was later strengthened, in 1951, by the ladies auxiliary who elected Dorothy Taylor as their leader.
Big changes were underway in 1951. The location was moved by the city council to its present 12th S1. S.W. site. Things looked bleak, as the old freight car was still the clubhouse. Heating facilities consisted of one, very old, unreliable wood furnace. The outdoor plumbing was of pioneer construction.
Improvements came slowly. In 1954, interest began to pick up when a building fund was established to erect a new clubhouse, and in the Fall of 1958 construction began. It was completed by the volunteer workers in 1959.
Among the many volunteer workers over the years, mention should be made of the numerous armed forces personnel who have contributed so much in community club work.
Club presidents through the years have been: Ray Dawes, Frank Gchlen, Peter Dewis, Bill Greenlay, Vic Frost, Ray Clayton, Chester Cairns, Reg Tomalin, Louis Laramee, Fred Gunnlaugson, John Schroeder, Bill McLean and Ornar Pappas. (From information sub mitted in 1967.)