|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 253 or Next - Page 255
The picture shown was taken shortly before his retirement.
Harvey D. Sparling, Q.C. was articled to J us tice Fawcett G. Taylor in 1913. He served in the first World War from 1916 to 1919, returning to Portage that year.
He was called to the bar in 1920~ and prac ticed law in the civil and criminal courts until 1957 when he was appointed to the bench as a Pro vincial Magistrate and Juvenile Court Judge. In 1958 he was appointed Q.C.
While on the bench he had the distinction of
|Harvey D. Sparling.||never having had any of|
his judgments or decisions reversed or altered by appeal. On his retirement, due to failing health, in 1962, the Government expressed the view that "he had brought to the bench compassion, dignity and a judicial approach which marked his all too short career as a distinguished one indeed".
He assisted in the formation of the Central Manitoba Bar Assoc. and was its first President. He is an honorary life member of this organiza tion.
Mr. Sparling was presented with "The Better Portage Award" by the Chamber of Commerce in 1963.
Magistrate Bruce P. McDonald, son of W. W. McDonald who taught mathematics in the Portage collegiate from 1908 until 1929, was born here. He was called to the bar in 1945 and practiced law in Winnipeg for 16 years before coming back to Portage to take over from Harvey D. Sparling, Q.C. when the latter retired.
Two Judges who spent a considerable number of years in Portage la Prairie were Judge Gregory Barrett, who came from Carberry Man., and Judge S. H. Fahrni, who came from Gladstone, Man. ThE