|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 260 or Next - Page 262
CHIEF JUSTICE EWEN McPHERSON
Chief Justice McPherson was born in Worth Country County, Missouri, on Jan. 27th, 1879, and came to Portage at an early age with his parents, Peter and Ellen McPherson. He received his elementary and high school education here and earned his law degree at the Manitoba Law SchooL
After getting his law degree he went into partnership with E. G. (Gus) Porter from 1917 to 1937 under the firm name of "McPher son and Porter. " During this period he served as a member of the Legislative Assembly from 1914 to 1921, and as a member of the House of Commons from 1926 to 1930. In the election of 1926 he achieved the distinction of defeating Arthur Meighen at the polls.
In 1932 he was appointed Provincial Treasurer after he was elected member for Rupert's Land in the deferred election of that year.
Ewen A. McPherson was a
|Chief Justice Ewen A. McPherson.||Bencher of the Manitoba Law|
Society from 1915 to 1937, and was chairman of the Portage la Prairie Hospital Board from 1917 to 1936.
In 1937 he was appointed Chief Justice of the Court of Queen's Bench, and in 1944 was elevated to the Court of Appeal where he served as Chief Justice until the time of his death in 1954.
EDWARD ANDERSON, K.C.
Mr. Anderson came to Manitoba as a boy in 1879 and was one of the first to pass the examinations of the law society, when that organization was in its infancy,
For several years he practised his profession in Portage la Prairie and for a time acted as crown prosecutor for the judicial district. He went to Winnipeg in 1906.