|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 27 or Next - Page 29
The Chippewa Nation was made up of Potawattamee, Eries, Hurons, Ojibways and Cree. They understood each other's language.
About 1870, a big battle was fought between the Saulteaux and the Assiniboines.
The Saulteaux used the area between the Red River and Brandon, and north to Lake Manitoba. That was the area where buffalo was most plentiful.
The main camp was situated at Long Plain near the present village of Edwin. Another big camp was near where the water tower stands today. Here they had a large burial ground called "Prairie Lake".
In the 18705 some Sioux from the west, probably renegades, camped in town. During the night they stole six horses from the Saulteaux (near the water tower). This caused the last war dance the Chippewas (or as they were by that time called - the Saulteaux) have held.
Six men took after the Sioux and tracked them to Two Hills, which is north-west of Lavenham. They saw a campfire in a bush and surrounded it.
One of the six warriors was a sharpshooter called "Mooses".
He lined two men up and killed them both with one shot of his muzzleloader. They managed to get their horses back, but the rest of the Sioux escaped."
PROUD PICHEITO AND PROBLEMS OF THE TIMES
The Weekly Tribune and Marquette Review printed an interest ing story on February 15, 1884. It is regrettable that the name of the writer, who submitted it to the paper, was not included. To brief the narrative could damage the context, and, for that reason, we will quote it as it was written.
"An old log house which has stood for years on the bank of the slough, near the intersection of Broadway with River Street on the left hand corner, has just succumbed to the advancement of civilization, having been torn down to make way for improvements of a more modern character. At one time the house was the best in the settlement, and was remarkable for being the first shingled house west of Winnipeg. It was built by an Indian hunter and trader named Picheito, a wealthy, shrewd and scheming man. It is more about