|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 286 or Next - Page 288
It was during 1910 that the present telephone exchange on Royal Road was erected by the Manitoba Telephone System. Con veniently situated in the business centre of the city, this exchange served the community well until continued growth and the advent of dial operation in this area necessitated extension of the premises. A two-storey addition was completed in the fall of 1953. Up-to-date telephone equipment was installed and local residents received dial service November 27, 1954.
|Telephone statistics tell a story. In||1884, Portage la|
Prairie had 18 telephones. Today there are several hundred over the 6,000 mark. The population, growth and economic development of this community are truly reflected by the tremendous increase in telephone usage.
The spirit of service is traditional in the communications indus try resulting in long, interesting telephone careers. When the following picture was taken in 1961, the combined service of these four dedicated MTS employees in the Portage la Prairie Commerical Of fice totalled 175 years!
Pictured left to right are: Mazie Miller (42 years service), Lottie Spar ks (45 years service), Mary Smi th (48 years service) and Betty Sylvester (40 years service).
Miss Miller who retired in June, 1967, had completed 48 years with the Telephone System.
It is regrettable we do not have the names of all long-service telephone employees. We extend our apologies to those whose names are not included.