|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 292 or Next - Page 294
wages and the purchase of ingredients and supplies in the area totalled $3,700,000. Of this total, employees received $1,433,000. in wages.
Another 40 persons are employed at a mushroom farm, pur chased by the Campbell Soup Co. in 1965. They have proven that quality mushrooms can be grown even under Manitoba's extreme winter conditions. A spur line runs right into the warehouse area and can handle up to 5 cars at once. Mr. E. E. Jeffries is the farm manager.
There is every reason to believe that the 'soup centre for Western Canada' will always be Portage la Prairie.
For many years the association between the city of Portage la Prairie and Canadian Armed Forces Southport has been an out standing one. Firm friendships have been established between our citizens and Armed Services people, not only because many of them have resided in our city but also because they have actively partici pated in our social, athletic and cultural endeavours.
Southport is considered one of the most significant sources of business for the retail trade in our city. In terms of actual income, there are 1,000 men receiving an average income of $6,000 each. Many of the wives are employed in town and swell the labour force available. It is estimated that with dependents, Southport adds 3,000 to our city's population.
An annual Armed Forces Day program draws thousands of spec tators to this area. During the day, daring feats in flying are per formed by the famous "Red Knight". (The one presently holding this title is Lieut. Brian G. Alston.) There is also formation flying, and every phase of the base's operation is open to public viewing. The latest of these spectacular days (1969) attracted a crowd esti mated at 20,200 personsl
For the actual history of this important base we turn to our local paper, The Daily Graphic, and quote:
"3FTS HAS A HISTORY GOING BACK 26 YEARS
The unit's history began in 1943 when Number 1 Instrument Flying School (No.1 FTS) was formed at Mohawk, Ont. The school's role was to provide an instrument rating course for RCAF pilots. This unit moved to Trenton, Ont., in 1945 and again to Centralia, Ont., in 1947.