|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 300 or Next - Page 302
Keeping the bridge clean must have posed a bit of a problem back in those days, because at a meeting on April 27, 1899, it was moved by C. Brown and seconded by W. 1. Cooper that the Secre tary be instructed to have two notices placed at the entrance-ways to the bridge, to the effect that no manure or other refuse be allowed to pass over. (As it was all carriage traffic in those days, we wonder if they had "bridge-broken" horsesl)
A picturesque, as well as useful, item was added to the Park in 1903 when the Town Council donated a windmill and tank. The Turf Club, who benefitted the most by this addition to the grounds, later took on the responsibility for the maintenance of it.
By 1904, the bridge was in need of repairs and $350.00 was spent on it. At that time too, the Parks Board proved that the old dream of flooding the Slough hadn't died, as they passed By Law No.2 which provided for expropriation of Slough bottom property. The Mayor and Town Council were requested to consider running fresh water into the Slough.
Some mischief might have been anticipated, or why was Jas.
Purcell appointed as a special constable to protect the dam at Smith's bridge?
Settlements for Slough bottom land were eventually completed, but the trials and tribulations were far from over for the Parks Board. Getting water into the Slough proved to be more difficult and costly than anticipated.
The dam at Smith's bridge was not very satisfactory apparently, and problems mounted. Home-owners complained about water in their cellars; a sluice gate had to be put on the grade on the road to the bridge; water in the Slough had to be lowered 18 inches to safeguard the grade in case of Spring freshets, and the dam itself had to be piled and sheet-piled. Then, as if those problems weren't enough, the bridge needed more work done on it.
In May of 1905, John Prout was given the contract to raise the bridge eighteen inches at each end, and four feet in the centre.
The water in the Slough didn't exactly smell like Spring flowers by this time, and this became another problem. Chas. Burley was appointed to experiment with bluestone in the water; not to neces sarily impart an enticing fragrance, but to subdue the offensive phew that was pervading the surrounding area. There is no record of the success of this venture.
At a Parks Board meeting on September 29, 1905, W. Arm strong was authorized to engage an engineer to report to them the