|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 301 or Next - Page 303
best and cheapest way to have a running stream of water in what had started to be called "Crescent Lake», and a suggestion to flood the lake from the Assiniboine River was discussed. It was almost a year later that they decided to get an estimate of the cost of cement and tile piping, and also of trenching. A few days later (Sept. 11, 1906) 4000 feet of 18 inch tile was ordered, and tenders were called for laying it.
Between 1906 and April, 1908, a water-wheel system was tried and proven unsatisfactory.
In June of 1908, a Mr. Cameron, of Winnipeg, attended a meet ing and showed a sketch of a pump or elevator, which he wished to sell, for lifting water from the River and emptying it into the pipe line. His proposition was not considered worthy of trial as he could offer no guarantee of its success.
The suggestion to build a needle-dam won favor with Board members, but as it would be a project involving about $35)000.00 nothing was done about it until Feb. of 1909, when the steel and iron work to be used in it was discussed, and Smith, Kerry & Chase were put in charge of construction. Parsons Construction and En gineering were to do the work. Two partners, Merriam and Syming ton were brought into the contract reading later.
Costs mounted. The canal had
to be deepened in the centre to 3' 6" shaped as shown in the di agram here, and two bridges built over it on the Ogletree farm. A. McLarty was given the latter contract.
Then, in April of 1910, Mr.
C has e recommended certain
changes in plans with respect to the floor of the dam. He was also of the opinion that the needles shouldn't be placed or any attempt made to raise the water until extra piling was driven to protect both abutments. Mr. A. J. Riddell and a small gang of men proceeded to the dam site to carry out the orders.
Nothing seemed to go as planned, or hopefully expected, and neither Board or Engineers and Contractors were very happy with each other for awhile. This was made quite evident by accounts of pending law suits, etc. E. P. Garland was Solicitor for the Parks