|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 304 or Next - Page 306
While roads through the Park had been graded, it wasn't until 1919 that they were gravelled. It has been suggested that the gravel was purchased at low cost from the C.P.R.
By Law No. 13, which had been passed in 1913, stating that "No person with rod, line or net shall catch or destroy any fish in Crescen t Lake" was waived for a time in 1919 due to the large quantities of fish in the Lake. The pu blic were given permission to fish for one mon tho
In December of 1919 plans were being made, with City, Parks Board and Exhibition Board co-operating, to build a house for the Parks Superintendent.
It could be said that the most important events concerning the Lake and the Island in the 1920s were the plans for a new In dustrial Building and for a new bridge.
The bridge which was built in 1898 had served the public well, even though the piles were only sitting in six feet of matter, like ooze. Because of this, it had a tendency to heave up every winter, and by 1929 was considered unsafe for traffic, which by this time included cars and trucks, and multi tons of elephant weight during circus performances. Repairs each year were costly and considered a waste of time and money by this time.
Engineer Porter consulted all the best bridge engineers regard ing the most suitable structure and passed on their advice to Mayor Burns who told a mass meeting on March 21, 1929, that it was agreed that the best bridge for local conditions 'would be a ere osoted pile bridge. The treated piling would last twice as long a: untreated wood, they said, and was only one third greater in price
It would seem that their advice was well heeded as the bridge, which was built from the extremity of Royal Road S. to the Island, has been in constant use since that time.
Many Portagers were not yet born when it was a new structure and the pride and joy of its designers. To some of the younger set, probably, it is a convenient bunch of -hoards which prevents them from getting their feet wet as they cross from the mainland to the Island. A little historical interest in it might be created if we impart one or two facts which are not generally known:
The piles you see above the waterline actually go down 30 feet below the Lake bottom where they were driven into the hard pan; the flooring of the bridge consists of two by fours, laid narrow side