|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 303 or Next - Page 305
$5.00 for row-boats and $15.00 for motor boats, which brought in a little revenue.
Then, just when everything seemed to indicate clear sailing ahead, a Spring flood dampened that dream. The Lake was full and overflowing, the motor house was practically in the River (al though the motor itself was high and dry), the sluice-way was en tirely gone, two bridges were washed away, the bulkhead was dam aged, and the dam broken away in three or four places! It's a won der that the Parks Board didn't give up at that point! However, hy the end of the year all building and repair work was completed and 'everything was in readiness for the next season.
During the years that the Lake was demanding so much at tention, Island Park was not being neglected. Thos. Hill was plough ing and harrowing the land there in preparation for sodding, seed ing and flower beds as early as 1900. E. A. Foley was hired as care taker, that same year, at $40.00 per summer month and a rent free, year around home. He only stayed one season, and was re placed by B. F. Sharp at the same summer salary, with $10.00 per month in the winter. In 1906, when J. P. Young took over the job, the salary was raised to $75.00 and $55.00.
In 1912, Mr. B. D. Wallace of Island Park Nursery Co. rented the Nursery on terms of $100.00 per year for a period of ten years.
The first animals purchased for the Park were three deer, in 1913. Fenced enclosures and sheds for their protection were built. No-one knows how dogs got into the deer pen the following year and killed one of them. The owners of the dogs paid $40.00 in settlement of a claim.
In May of 1914, the Federal Government were given permis sion to build a septic tank, in connection with their building opera tions at that time. (There were restrietions regarding drainage) etc.)
Children got a wading pool in 1914, and everyone was made happier by the erection of a bandstand in 1915.
It has been mentioned that there was a bear pit in the Park in 1915. Does anyone remember it?
By 1918 the Park had two deer enclosures which were con nected by a bridge, and the Park Superintendent had 5,000 beautiful plants blooming. (He was a busy man as supervising cemeteries was also part of his duties.)