|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 319 or Next - Page 321
contains two elevating legs, allowing considerable flexibility in the process of receiving, cleaning and shipping grain. The elevator is equipped with a 30-ton scale with a 40-foot platform. A large shed was built in 1962 for the storage of farm supplies. Portage la Prairie is used as a distributing point for elevators in the surrounding area.
In 1964, United Grain Growers undertook further diversification in the handling of grain crops. Facilities were required to handle the cleaning of yellow mustard seed, for which contracts had been let out. The necessary cleaning equipment was installed in our eleva tor, and mustard is being hauled to this point by truck and rail to be cleaned and sacked for distribution to various parts of the world. Facilities for unloading from boxcars have been installed for this purpose.
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE CO-OPERATIVE ELEVATOR ASSOCIA TION
"A" - Built in 1928.
"B" - Bought from Reliance Grain in 1948. HC" - Bought from Ogilvies in 1959.
First Agent was Mr. J. H. Whyte
Following Agents were:
J. W. Sherritt C. Brugger
Amount of Grain handled - 15,192,867 bus. Patronage Dividends - $346,046
First Board of Directors -
SECRETARY - Roy W. Brown PRESIDENT - A. G. Sissons VICE-PRESIDENT - J. G. Arnott DIRECTORS -
C. Ogletree J. Henning A. Wishart Geo. Rennie
AGENT - J. H. Whyte
1947-1949 1949-1964 1964-1966
"PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE - CONSTITUENCY"
The constituency of Portage la Prairie was created in 1903. In 1947 it was changed to Portage Neepawa. Prior to 1903, it was Macdonald District. The district it belonged to before 1892 was Marquette.