|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 335 or Next - Page 337
JAMES MOFFAT: Settled north of Portage in 1873, and farmed successfully until 1899 when he retired to Portage la Prairie.
WILLIAM MOSS: Was appointed Governor of the Portage Gaol in 1882.
ROBERT NEELANDS: About 1878 he came to Portage, and a short time later permanently settled on land northeast of Portage.
COLIN CAMPBELL NEWMAN: A Portage pioneer, brother of T. A. and F. L. Newman, and father of Mrs. C. Cole, a respected Portage resident.
F. L. NEWMAN: Was very active in community affairs. He was mayor of the city for two years and an alderman for many years.
FRANCIS OGLETREE: In the early days was very prominent in public affairs. Hon. Francis Ogletree was a member of the first Legislative Council, Drill Instructor during the Riel Uprising, Police Magistrate for Portage for many years and Indian Agent for the district.
THOMAS OLIVER: Arrived in Portage in 1877 and was there fore among the first of the pioneer settlers.
EDWARD PORTER: Was the first manager of the Ontario bank which established business in Portage in 1880.
MR. THOMAS W. PROUT: Came to Portage in 1882 and settled in a house next door to where the Greenberg Groceteria is today. He ran a livery stable, along with Dr. Taylor, a Veterinarian, for a time before going into a machine business in the Prout Block, which was later destroyed by fire. He passed away in 1918. Mrs. N. Weber, of Portage, is a daughter.
WILLIAM PURVIS: Brought his wife and family to Manitoba in 1888; settled first at Minnedosa, and moved shortly afterwards to Portage la Prairie. A daughter, Helen, is remembered as having taught in West Ward, Central, and High Bluff schools. (She married William Charles Hall in 1905 and lived in Portage until 1930, when
. they moved to Langruth.)
WILLIAM RICHARDSON: Arrived in Portage la Prairie in 1879 and identified with many of its steps of progress. He was in the real estate business.
JOHN T. RUTLEDGE: Pioneer settler of 1877.
JOHN RUTLEDGE and WILLIAM RUTLEDGE: (no close relationship to John T.): Pioneer settlers of 1872.