|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 336 or Next - Page 338
JAMES and EDWARD SCOTT: Came to Manitoba in 1873; were pioneer homesteaders 8 miles northwest of Portage la Prairie.
WILLIAM STAIT SR.: Came to the Portage Plains in 1873 and traded a team of horses for a quarter section of land. Later, he brought his wife and family from Fort Garry to the homestead in a covered wagon. They recorded spending a day and a night with their wagon stuck in a slough en route!
R. G. T. SIMPSON: Came to Portage in 1880 and made quite a name for himself for the beautiful flowers and trees he grew on his farm north-east of Portage la Prairie. He was also credited with being a good and successful farmer.
THOMAS SISSONS SR.: Located at Portage la Prairie in 1871.
The land he settled on has been farmed by his descendants ever since.
THOMAS SISSONS JR.: Came to Manitoba with his parents in 1871, and knew the pioneer life of which he became a part. He was the father of a family of nine of which a daughter, Melrose, was called to the Bar of the Province; Bonnie, with a Bachelor of Science and Home Economics Degree; Albert, a Veterinary Surgeon; Garfield, the diploma course at Manitoba Agricultural College, and Lynn, an artist. A fifth generation is residing on the original farm at this time.
W. F. SMITH: Farmed north of Portage from 1873 until 1899. JAMES A. SMITH: Came about 1874 and farmed near Portage la Prairie until 1899.
EDWY WILLIAM SNIDER: Settled at Portage la Prairie in 1879. Seven members of his family formed the major part of the first brass band west of Winnipeg. He was a leading factor in many improvements made in the settlement, and each of his family have been a credit to our country since the early days.
JOHN SUTHERLAND: A pioneer farmer of 1878. Parish lot 53 was the legal description of his land.
THOMAS SWALES: Built the first frame house between Por tage and Lake Manitoba in 1879 on a farm 3 miles north of Portage.
JAMES THOMSON: Arrived in Portage in 1880 as an employee of the Hudson's Bay Co. Later he was promoted to manager, then transferred to Calgary in 1885.
WILLIAM THOMSON: A pioneer of 1878 who settled six miles northwest of Portage la Prairie.