|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 337 or Next - Page 339
RICHARD THOMSON: Came to Portage in 1879 and was a secretary in the Portage la Prairie Milling Co. until 1881 when it became part of the Lake of the Woods Milling Co. of which he became local manager.
GEORGE TIDSBURY: Has the distinction of being one of the first men to organize the game of curling in Portage. He was also one of the first directors of Portage Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
WILLIAM TRIMBLE: Built the first house out of Portage on the Saskatchewan Trail. He was instrumental in having West Pros pect Methodist Church built and organizing the school district of Belle Plain.
GEORGE A. TUCKER: A pioneer settler of 1873, farmed about 5 miles northeast of Portage. He lived on this land until his death in 1916.
ROBERT TAYLOR: Came to the Portage district in 1877 and farmed west of the present city. He was born in Blythe, Ontario in 1858 and passed away in Portage in 1929. A brother, John M. Taylor, who also lived in Portage, predeceased him.
JOHN WEBSTER: One of the early homesteaders at Mac donald. He moved into Portage in 1892 and worked for the Massey Harris Co. for a time, later taking employment in the D. McKillop undertaking establishment. He passed away in 1904 at the age of 48 years.
GEORGE AVERY WHITE: Arrived in Portage in 1873 and became both a farmer and flour-miller while here. He died in 1885.
ROBERT WISHART: Settled on 7-12-6 in 1870, with a family of five sons, and farmed there until 1880 when he moved to Sas katchewan where a little town, north of Fort Qu'Appelle, was named after him.
(A brother, Dr. John Wishart, of London, Ontario, was credited with performing the first operation for appendicitis on the N. A. Continent.)
WILLIAM WISHART: A brother of Robert and John, came to Portage in 1875 and settled on 13-12-7. A son, Robert, many years later, married Jean McGowan who holds the honor of being the only Portage woman who has sat on City Council. A grandson, W. L. (Bud) Wishart still resides on the original farm.
WILLIAM YOUNG: Was born Nov. 11th, 1850 near Brussels, Ontario, and came to the Portage district in 1873, taking up home-