|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 341 or Next - Page 343
in 1913, it was necessary to build a breakwater and bridge to prevent high winds from eroding the channel with resultant danger to rail road and fish storage buildings. This bridge was also damaged in the high water of 1955 and was later dismantled. A road was built over the channel at the west end of the village at that time.
When Mrs. Hutchinson first went to Delta she remembers the fishermen working much closer to shore than they do now. She says they hauled sleighs by hand, and when these were filled with pickerel, tullibee and jackfish they were emptied into horse drawn sleighs and taken to the railroad to be loaded for marketing by Armstrong Fisheries. She also remembers the Icelandic fishermen from Gimli crossing to Lake Manitoba and down to Delta by dog-team.
Shortly after Mrs. Hutchinson's arrival at Delta, permanent residents started homes on the ridge, and there were several summer cottages built along the beach. Among the first builders were Dr. Glascoe, Sel MacDonald, W. H. Thompson, the Richardsons, Coles, Andrich, Vadeboncoeur and La Fleche (parents of famous Giselle) families.
Campers came by train on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and on Saturdays there were three or four trainloads from Portage, the final one at night being known as the "Moonlight Special".
In 1928, a road was built through the marsh.
Delta has always been famous for its hunting lodges and Mrs.
Hutchinson listed them in turn:
The Donald H. Bain lodge, now owned by the Manitoba gov ernment; the Portage Country Club, which was built west of the Bain lodge and had many ardent hunting enthusiasts as mem bers; Jimmie Robinson's Flee Island lodge (this world famous editor of Sports and Field Magazine hosted many famous people such as Clark Gable); and the pioneer, nature-lover of them all, Dr. Cadham, who shortly after 1912 bought the land along the lakeshore from Delta east to Clandeboye and built his summer home. He later sold this land, with the exception of his summer home, to J. F. Bell of Minneapolis.
Then there was the Kirkhoffer lodge, built by Senator Kirkhoffer of Brandon, Manitoba, and located nine miles east of Delta in the marsh. It was to this lodge that King Edward VII came on vacation when he was Duke of York.
When J. F. Bell acquired the Cadham property, he built a lodge east of the Cadham lodge, and also started a mink ranch on the