|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 354 or Next - Page 356
A store which was built by Walter Brass was bought by William Condy who gave service for 32 years. It has changed hands several times since and is now (1968) owned and operated by two capable people, Kelly and Joan McIvor.
(Known as the "Nairn District" in the very early days.) Because of a high bluff or grove of trees, which rose con spicuously out of the surrounding woods the area was given the name 'High Bluff.'
Archdeacon Cochrane can be credited, not only for starting the first white settlement at Portage la Prairie, but also for the confidence he inspired in pioneers to cast their lot in the area which circled his settlement. High Bluff came within this circle.
The Archdeacon seemed to have been of the opinion that mental development and spiritual fulfillment were co-related, as his first thoughts were of schools and churches wherever new-comers settled. In 1859, High Bluff had its first school built under his guidance, a school which was given the number 13. It was located on a trail that led to the lake which later became known as Black's Lake. Fire destroyed the school in 1876 and classes were held in the Drummond House until a new educational edifice could be erected. Land for the site was purchased from Mr. Colin Setter, and in 1879 the bell rang for the first classes in the new school, which served as the training centre for students in the immediate area until 1893 when the last school was built. It was another of the little school houses which had to check out after 51 years of usefulness.
The parish of High Bluff was called the Parish of St. Margaret, and a church was built the same year as the school, in 1859. It was located where the Anglican Cemetery is, on No. 4 highway. This church, which followed similar architectural lines to the one built earlier in Portage, burned and a smaller one took its place. A manse was also built to accommodate a resident minister. After many years of service this church was moved away.
The Methodist church was built on land which was, at one time, farmed by John Norquay who sold it to John Moss who resided at High Bluff until he passed away in 1930. Mr. Moss settled in the area in 1872. The graveyard which was beside the church is still there.