|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 358 or Next - Page 360
William Donnelly's great-grandson, Dr. Kenneth R. Donnelly, M.D. graduated from the University of British Columbia in 1955, and has a position tn the Medical School there at this time.
J ames Donnelly was the first inspector of roads and bridges for the Rural Council. Two sons, Andrew and William, became success ful farmers at High Bluff and Pine Creek respectively.
Among the newcomers in 1872 were: Thomas Wark, William and James Moggey, and Rev. Nelson Brown (who supplemented his income by farming). They were followed in 1873 by James Oliver Fraser, Thomas Smith, Richard Meabry, J as. Threadkill and George Tidsbury with son, Robert.
George Lytle and sons, W. C., George Henry and Percy came in 1876, as did Charles Cuthbert whose son, Sterling, was manager of the Portage Fair for many years.
George and John Setter, and James Parker added to the population of the settlement in 1877.
In 1878, we see the names of Edward Cook, John Dezell and Rev. Hugh McKellar; followed by John Evans in 1880 and Jos. Bowes in 1890.
The date of arrival of John Kennedy and John Albert Lee is uncertain but it is thought to have been between the two latter dates. Another note of interest might be injected here by telling you that Mr. Lee helped to lay the first plank sidewalk in Winnipeg before travelling west to High Bluff.
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Prout must have been very early settlers, as records mention them as being residents there when High Bluff was called the "Nairn District".
"Place-Names of Manitoba" - published for the Geographic Board of Canada, has Oakville listed thusly: "C.N.R. station, 11-5-1 (1888-89); Kawende is the P.O. name."
Turning to "Kawende" we see: "P.O., 11-4-1 (1900); earlier Oakville, P.O.; from the Chippewa Indian 'kawiri' meaning "no"; Oakville is the C.N.R. station name here."
A little confusing isn't it? And why the name 'Kawende' was used when it meant nothing more than "no" is a good question!