|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 361 or Next - Page 363
In 1922 the Manitoba Power Commission moved in, which was a further improvement and in 1945, farmers in the surrounding area received the benefits of electrification.
Doctors always deserve mention in even a brief history of an area. The ones who went in to undeveloped regions to be of assistance to pioneer families are especially worthy.
Among the first doctors in Oakville were Dr. McCreary and Dr.
W. H. Clark. However, it was Dr. A. A. Alford, who was a resident doctor there for 31 years, who endeared himself most to the people. Much could be written about this man if space permitted. When he passed away, in 1950, he was succeeded by Dr. Bowman, Dr. T. W. D. Miller and Dr. D. L. Price; each one remembered for their noble work in the community.
Oakville is certainly a place that has shown tremendous progress from the time of the first settlers, and a place of which the municipal ity can be very proud.
Just when the name Drumconner was changed to Macdonald is hard to ascertain. However, in Place-Names of Manitoba by the Geographic Board of Canada it states that it was named after the Rt. Hon. Sir John A. Macdonald who was Prime Minister of Canada from 1867 to 1873 and from 1878 to 1891. As late as 1893 both names were being used in the village, as you will see in the following narrative.
In June of 1893, when two Weekly Review newspaper men visited Macdonald, they came back with a very descriptive story, which is an enlightening addition to other items printed of the early days there. Quote - "Beneath the sun in Manitoba, there lies not out of doors any nicer piece of prairie than that which stretches itself between Westbourne and Macdonald, and very well indeed do the land-owners of that neighborhood recognize and appreciate the fact, for those of whom we inquired told us they held their land at from $40.00 to $50.00 per acre.
A small stream passes through Macdonald, which causes one of the main roads leading into the village to diverge from its natural point of the compass. From the stream some fish have been taken weighing from IOta 20 lbs.
Though within 9 or 10 miles of Portage la Prairie, the village's location affords it ample room for growth and in a very few years