|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 360 or Next - Page 362
Before any church buildings were erected, services were held in the log school house, located on what became known as "the Jack Tooth farm." Mr. A. J. Moore says, "In stormy weather, Mr. Garrioch would gather the people together at the section house or any other place available in the village."
The Anglican Church was built in 1900. Rev. A. C. Garrioch was the first pastor. The land for the church site was donated by Mr. Nat Bradley.
A Presbyterian Church was built in 1905 and Rev. Claxton, Rev. Inglis and Rev. Smith have been mentioned as first ministers in it.
The Sacred Heart Church, erected in 1921, had Fa ther Caraher to guide the Catholic congregation.
After 1925 the first United Church minister was Rev. R. D.
The first post office was on the farm of Mr. Neil Wallace who acted as postmaster. It was located one mile north of where Oakville stands today.
Later, Mr. W. V. Anderson was postmaster in a boarding house.
It seems rio-one was too keen on the job as several names are mentioned in connection with it in a short period of time: A. B. Dalzell, A. G. McBean, Thos. Stait, D. A. Moore and E. E. Martin.
Then came Andrew M. Boddy who held the position for 20 years when his son, Joseph, took over for a brief time.
Mr. Walter Tomes was the next postmaster. The responsibility of the office was taken over by Mrs. Tomes when he passed away. The present Oakville Post Office, which was formerly a bank, contains 300 mail boxes and is still under her supervision.
Telephone service, by 1914, had become an accepted part of life in the village and the M.T.S. had 27 local and 110 rural subscribers on their list.
The first village lighting system was oil lamps hung on poles along the streets. These lamps had to be lit each night, of course. Then a gentleman by the name of Cliff Jameson installed a gener ating outfit at the back of Boddy's store and with the help of Howard Christie, an electrician, (and a Waterloo tractor to run the generator) it wasn't long until Oakville was enjoying a more modern means of lighting.