|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 366 or Next - Page 368
The first school, registered as No. 57 was built in 1887. After it was destroyed by fire another one was built in 1902. The first teacher was a Miss Glass.
Children are now picked up by bus and attend school in Portage la Prairie.
Oakland Presbyterian Church was erected in 1890, one half mile west of Oakland village. In 1907 it was moved into the village and Presbyterian and Methodist congregations shared it during dif ferent hours on the Sabbath day. Members, of one or the other denominations, from Portage Creek, Dale, Flee Island, East and West Prospect, as well as Oakland, attended the services. Rev. W. H. Rowand is the first pastor mentioned. Others who followed him were: Rev. Ross, Rev. Jas. White, Rev. John Russell, Rev. Naismith, Rev. McTavish, Rev. Peacover, Rev. W. C. North, Rev. Geo. Dickson, Rev. Huguet, Dr Murray, Rev. Carmicheal, Rev. Meek, Rev. Welsh, Rev. Bygraves, Dr. Richards, Rev. Crossley, Rev. Denyes, Dr. Kenner, Rev. Cooper, Rev. Ivan Fulford, Rev. Hodge and Rev. Miss Miller. (Mrs. Betty Love played the organ in the church for 21 years.)
"The original church was closed in 1961 when the new Murray United Church was opened, which is located on the north side of the road opposite where the old church stands," says Mrs. Betty Love.
There is only one church for the Oakland district and they are in the same circuit as High Bluff and Poplar Point.
The first skating rink was sheltered by canvas, the second one (built in 1900) was destroyed in a cyclone and the present one (built in 1921) has a waiting-room which has served as a community centre for dances, showers, bazaars, banquets and meetings.
Curling seems to have been the main winter sport in Oakland and some of the earliest enthusiasts who participated were: the Thomsons, Luis, Eadies, J. Hardy, Alex Finnie, the Browns, Fultons, Rices, F. Wilkinson, Simpsons, Frasers and Loves.
It is regrettable that space does not allow family histories connected with all the noble pioneers of the district. An interesting narrative (many pages long) could be written about David Love alone. For instance: his life in Ireland where he was born in 1837; his life in Canada, after arriving in the country in 1870; his experi ences surveying the Portage district with Mozey McFadden in 1872; and his life on the homestead in Oakland in 1878 where he raised eleven children and spent the remainder of his 82 years of life.