|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 365 or Next - Page 367
Curling and skating have been the main Macdonald sports.
In fact curling was so popular that three curling rinks have been built there through the years! However, comfortable cars, improved roads and a proximity to larger more modern rinks, wrote finis to the little local ones, and at this time there remains only an open air ska ting rink there.
Present day businesses in Macdonald are: two modern, electrical ly operated elevators, a store owned by L. G. Gillespie and rented by Mr. and Mrs. J. Rink, and the Macdonald garage.
Long gone are the days when settlers gathered in the village, to share their experiences, on a Saturday night; an evening when every hitching-post had a horse tethered to it.
Before the railroad got to Oakland in 1898 the settlers had to haul their grain to Portage Ia Prairie which was a distance of 19 miles in some cases. This was a chore reserved for the winter months when they could be sure the roads were passable and they wouldn't be pestered by mosquitoes.
The railway in every instance was a blessing to settlements, hamlets, villages and towns. It not only meant that elevators sprang up but it also meant regular mail and passenger service. (The Canadian N. Railway station was sold a few years ago and passenger travel discontinued.)
The elevators in Oakland have been operated by various com panies: Newmans, Ogilvies, Forsythes, Reliance and the Manitoba Pool. One of the first eleva tor opera tors was a Mr. Stephens whose father was the founder of the Morden Experimental Farm. Others who bought grain at Oakland were: Guen Dutson, Hiram Cook, John Turner, L. McCowan, William Davidson, Sidney Dack, Wilber Odair and his son, Gilbert Odair, James Ogilvie, Tom Howie, A. Lingquist, J. N. Anderson, Dennis Corder and Fred Wentzell.
lVII'S. Betty Love says, "The first store to be opened in Oakland we believe was opened by a Fred Purdy, who sold to Archie Bell, who later sold to J. Hardy." Another store was established in 1921 by John Turner. Then in 1947, Mr. Stan McVity built a general store which has served the community since that time.
Blacksmiths were very necessary tradesmen in every community and Ike Bosslaw and William Howe catered to Oakland's horse and buggy trade in the early days.