|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 376 or Next - Page 378
East Poplar Point school was built around 1883 and was in existence until 1912 when it was destroyed by fire. It was replaced by a new building the same year. Later it was moved into the village and is now a four room school which is attended by children from grade I to grade 8.
From 1865 to 1881 a grist mill was in operation about one mile east of the village. Other businesses listed were: Poplar Point Wheelrite Shop and General Blacksmith (1850 to 1880); Dyers Blacksmith Shop (1880 to 1930); Robert Hasty-Fur buyer and Gen eral Store (1870 to 1893); and Lachlin McLean's Stopping House (1880 to 1920). General Stores through the years have been operated by the following merchants: G. M. Jackson (1886 to 1897), M. H. Ritchie (1891 to 1907), M. Chemileskey (1907 to 1913), J. P. Bend (1913 to 1921), Francis Ltd. (1922 to 1940) and T. W. Murray (1940 to the present time).
Farmers in the district in 1890-95 were: Mr. Bigelow, John Bruce, Don Bruce, [as. [ewison, Wm. Reid, James Cunningham, John and Alex Cunningham, John Inkster, John Francis, Ben Francis, Capt. Butler, Mr. Mclean, John Setter, D. Setter, Chas. Setter, Wm. Gowler, Donald Kennedy, Amos Sparks, Jack Adams, Chas. Mett and John Braden.
Poplar Poin t has long been known in sporting circles in Canada, the U.S.A. and even around the world! Many names may be omitted due to lack of information, however, a few of the outstanding athletes tha t called Poplar Point "home" are:
Jack Smith, who won. the provincial mile championship in 1896 and Rupert Spence, who won the provincial mile, 440, 220, and 100 yards in 1919. We are especially proud of Olive E. Little (nee Bend) who joined the Rochester Professional girls fast-ball league and played with them from 1941 to 1945 inclusive. They won the World Championship in 1945, and Olive was picked to play on the American All Star team for 3 consecutive years. Her picture now hangs in the Hall of Fame, Arena Rink, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Olive's brother, Lin Bend, was a member of the Portage Terriers when they won the Memorial Cup. He turned pro with the New York Rangers (1942-43), joining the armed forces after the season finished. After the war he again played pro hockey in the American League until 1949. Later he was associated with the St. Paul and Kansas City teams.
J. P. Bend (father of Olive and Lin) managed hockey teams from 1918 to 1960, during which time the teams with which he was