|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 37 or Next - Page 39
Many Indian children reaped rewards from the seeds sown by the above mentioned, kind, patient teachers. It's impossible to name them all, but one girl- mentioned only as "Emma" in the church rec ords, married an Indian in Griswold, became a member of the Angli can Mission, played the organ in church and gave good service as a member of the Women's Auxiliary.
While speaking of Indians we should mention Long Plain Reserve which is situated approximately fifteen miles south-west of Portage la Prairie on the north bank of the Assiniboine River. In 1922 there were 100 Indians on this reserve. All their children were under the care of Mr. W. A. Hendrey, principal of the large Indian boarding school of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
The farm consisted of 200 acres of the best land in Manitoba and the Saulteaux Indians there proved what good farmers they could be. When Mr. W. H. Ross went there in 1922 he said, "I admired the long straight-as-an-arrow lines of plowing. Drills of corn, potatoes, turnips and grain sown by the seeder across broad fields was a sigh t to see. P
He also mentioned large stables of up to date, well bred stock, the horses sleek and fat. Many tons of potatoes were sold each year. Mr. Ross added, "In all it is a prosperous school industrially and a great credit to Mr. and Mrs. Hendrey."
It's regrettable that space does not allow all the interesting stories, related to happenings at Long Plain Reserve, to be included in this narrative. We will, however, in the interest of history, attempt to add enlightenment with a few brief statistics from the material available.
Miss Victoria Gerega, of Roblin, Man., opened the first school in the church, and in Nov. of 1949 took charge of school number one, where she taught until June, 1950.
Men listed as having been in charge of the mission after the departure of Mr. W. H. Ross are: Mr. (?) Dalton, Mr. A. E. Weaver, Mr. (?) Caskey, Mr. (?) Beasworth, Mr. R. C. Matthews, Mr. (?) Friese, Mr. B. King and Mr. T. N. Ferguson (The list submitted to the author ended 1956.)
Burial customs of the Indians were so different to the white man's that a description was written by Mr. W. H. Ross who built the church at Long Plain Reserve and served as a missionary there