|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 70 or Next - Page 72
started a blacksmith shop (shoeing of oxen was still common, and shoeing of horses was a necessity); J. P. Young erected a blacksmith shop on Duke Avenue in the same year; a school was built on Crescent Road, near where the present bridge crosses to the Island; and J. D. McGregor who was later to become Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba, erected a slaughterhouse near the west end.
Peter McPherson was a capable carpenter, employed by the village of Portage la Prairie, in 1879. (His son, John, was identified with the newspaper here for many years before accepting a position with the C.N.R. in Winnipeg. His son, Peter, worked in the local Land Titles Office before accepting a position with the C.P.R. in Winnipeg. His son, Ewen Alexander, was elected to the local Legislature and later to the Dominion Federal Parliament, before which, he was a barrister and City Solicitor in Portage. Another son, Ernest, ran a men's clothing store here before becoming Indian agent for the Selkirk division.)
Another pioneer busi ness, established prior to 1880, was the T.B. and Walter Millar hardware store. It was situated on the west side of Main Street at the corner of Portage Avenue.
Everyone (except the very young) will remem ber the Community Hall which was on the corner of Saskatchewan Ave. and Main St. and which was torn down in 1966. I t was on the si te of the Rossin H 0 use. Harry
|Walter Millar||Adams was the proprietor|
of the latter establishment in the early days.
Mr. McIlvanie was again in the news, in 1880, for building a couple of sizeable structures: a new planing mill, 48 ft. by 80 ft. near the present C.P.R. depot, and a paper mill, 36 ft. by 100 ft., for the manufacture of building paper near Pratt's Landing.