This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire

Previous - Page 92 or Next - Page 94

William Augustus Linden passed away in 1941, and for five years Mrs. W. A. Linden successfully managed the business before following him. Their son, William, who was not much older than his fa ther had been when he came to Portage la Prairie, became a florist at tha t time.

'Linden's Flowers' is located at 489 Saskatchewan Avenue, East. To bring our florist history up to date, we can add that another attractive Ilorist shop called "Mil-Jeanne Flowers", under the management of Audrey and Jim Healey, is doing business in Portage 1<1 Prairie, and is located at 219 Saskatchewan Avenue, East.


The Weekly Review (Portage paper) of Aug. 2, 1894, printed the following experiences and impressions of a Portager who took a trip up Lake Manitoba that year. (The name of the man who submitted the information was not given. However, we feel that the contents are historically interesting.)

Ouotc: "Monday: - After rigging a sail to our boat and plugging up sundry holes and cracks we made a start at four o'clock for parts unknown, or at least we thought them so.

We ran about four miles past White Mud river and camped for the night with good wet shirts, for the wind had been heavy and the waves would persist in flapping in over the sides or else our boat would take an occasional short cut through a wave instead of over it.

The beach here is low wi th marsh back of it for two or three miles. The principal scenery was lake flies which were so thick that they looked like clouds of smoke. They tumbled into everything they could but had a particular spite at our soft butter.

Tuesday - We sailed with a light wind to Big Point. The land is high here and the beach fine. We camped three miles further. A bad wind and rain storm came on about one o'clock which routed us out to look after our boat. We carried it up on the beach and tied it there. The beach is about six feet high and the wind raised the water over it in less than ten minutes. Some Indians had between sixty and a hundred cords of wood, piled close to the water ready for rafting, which was all washed away. The wind blew a hurricane.

Wednesday: - Calm after a storm. 73