|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 140 or Next - Page 142
chycki, 1957-58 Louise Kascielny, 1958-59 Ralph Cibula, 1959-60 Edward Coptiuk, 1960-61 Evelyn Szwaluk, 1961- 62 L. H. Bonner, 1962-64 Mary Duncan.
The Secretary-Treasurer from 1909-1928 was J.A.
Skoglund and from 1929-1964 was Einar Sundmark.
ERICKSON SCHOOL NO. 1366 NO. 2405 (1906 TO 1984)
by Wilda Car/son
The moment that the first settler or his wife stopped digging roots or churning butter in order to show junior how to print his name, the first step toward an education program had been taken.
The pioneers of Erickson and their successors have continued to improve the quality of education for their children. The school system has grown over the years. The present stage of continuing development, which includes the many fine facilities in our community is the result of much thought, sacrifice, and ingenuity. Regrettably, only a few of the many who contributed can be mentioned here.
THE EARL Y DAYS
On March 20, 1906, by a by-law of the Municipality of Clanwilliam, School District NO. 1366 of Erickson was formed. Minutes of the building committee for the school state that Peter Abel (chairman), Albert Erickson, Anders Jacobson, Nils Holmberg and Amos Johnson, met at the Albert Erickson home on December 8 of that year. They made out a "lumberbill" of materials required for the new "schoolhouse". Lumber costs included the following:
|1||6 x 6 x 14' - 424:|
|7||2 x 6 x 14' - 564: (84: each)|
|129||2 x 4 x 14' - $12.04 (less than 104: each)|
Tenders were to have been opened on January 19, 1907. There was not a quorum at this meeting so another was held on January 26. Frank Engman was awarded the tender for furnishing the rough lumber.
At the meeting on March 2, it was decided that John Magnell would furnish the flag pole - 40 feet long and 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter for $5.
Peter Abel gave five acres of land where the present school is situated.
The building committee met on March 20 to receive tenders for the erection and completion of the "schoolhouse". Amos Johnson had submitted the only construction tender and the contract was let to him for $200. This school building was erected at a total cost of $789.52.
While the school was being erected, education went on.
During the summer of 1906, classes were held in a log structure north of the village on the farm referred to as the "Bergwall place" S. W. 4-18-18W. This building
consisted of a log cabin to serve as a classroom and a lean-to for wood storage.
The first teacher was Dorothy Hanson; and the first trustees were Emil Bergeson, Andrew Jacobson, and Albert Erickson. The secretary-treasurer was August Haralson. According to the Department of Education the students enrolled were: Ora Fox, Alfred Carlson, Minnie Bergeson, David Halvarson, John Halvarson, Amy Swanburg, Wyman Miller and Vic O'Lang.
One example will serve to illustrate the progess in transportation since those days. Little Minnie Bergeson walked to school two and a half miles alone through trees and bush. The worry to her mother, Mrs. Emil Bergeson, that the child might not come home was a daily burden until she could finally see her little girl coming across the clearing. Now a bus picks the child up practically at her door and delivers her safely home again. When storms necessitate the early closing of school, the driver is responsible for seeing that children are able to enter the house.
THE ONE-ROOM SCHOOL
The one-room school was opened in 1907. It was 20 feet by 30 feet with an attached shed 9 1/2 feet by 13 feet. Mabel Hanson was the first teacher, and Clarence Johnson was the first caretaker.
In a few years, two teachers were required, and then three. Two classes were held in Scandia Hall which later became the original Legion Hall.
Boys' and Girls' Clubs were active during these years.
There is a record of the school board contributing $30 to finance this project. The board also donated $50 for the children's entertainment at the Christmas concert.
By 1917, plans were under way to replace the school with a larger building. The obsolete school was sold at public auction. On November 1, 1919, it became the property of Charlie (C.J.) Johnson. Chris Olsen moved the building to its present site using one black horse and a stump-puller. The building housed Mr. Johnson's hardware store and still forms a part of the Erickson Hardware.
THE FOUR-ROOM SCHOOL
At a council meeting in February 1918, a by-law was passed for the erection of a new school. On April 4, 1919, the trustees authorized debentures to finance the new venture. "Twenty debentures were sold for $475 each at 6 112070 interest payable annually on each first of January 1920 to 1939."
In 1919, an entirely new well-built two-storey school came into being. Mr. Haralson showed great fore-sight by insisting that it have four rooms.
Charlie (C.O.) Carlson was in charge of building this school. The classrooms were large and airy with 12 foot ceilings and fine hardwood floors. A science lab was built in a tower.
At the time, one room was left unfinished with just rough boards on the floor. This room was used for gym