|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 155 or Next - Page 157
WESTMOUNT SCHOOL NO. 1587
by Joan McInnes and Emil Shellborn
The ratepayers held their 1st meeting at the Martin Paulson home on July 18, 1911 at 10 A.M. to discuss the building of a school. Trustees elected were Lachlan McInnes Sr. Chairman, George Pennel Secretary, Alf Gustafson and Martin Paulson. The school site property was purchased from the Hudson's Bay Company. Names sent in for the school to the Department were Rosetta, Paulson and King Lake. These were already taken so submitted Grass Mear, Westmount or Westmear. Westmount was accepted. This name was originally submitted by Mrs. John Harper who came from England and landed at Westmount, Quebec before coming to Manitoba.
Westmount School No. 1587.
In the spring of 1912, Amos Johnson was given the contract to build Westmount School and the lumber to be supplied by Victor Wallstrom. John Gudbrandson was
Westmount School, 1917. Barn renovated as temporary school. Teacher Cecilia Johnson. Back Row, Left to Right: Charlie Harper, Lyla McMillian, Seggie Harper, Lachlan Mcinnes, Gladys McMillan, Emil Shellbom, John Gudbrandsen. Front Row: Clara Johnston, Russell McMillan, Melcolm Harper, Sadie Mcinnes, Alice Shellborn, Lillian Gudbrandsen, Mabel McMillan and Andrew Skoglund.
given the contract to clear the ground for the foundation and digging the trenches, Peter Baglo to do the cement work.
The first annual meeting was held December 2, 1912 at the new school house.
Westmount School No. 1587-1926-27. Back Row, Left to Right: Sloik child, Steve Marcino, Eddie Mclnnes, Charlie Sloik, Ruby McMillan, Clifford McMillan, John Marcino. Seated: Mamie Usick, Evelyn Uttberg, Frank Marano, Neil Challborn, Steve Synchyshyn. Absent:
On the 31st of May, 1916 the school was closed for three weeks due to diphtheria in the area.
Tragedy struck when the school burnt in the beginning of January, 1917. A meeting was held at the George Hemstock home to discuss ways and means of rebuilding the school. It was decided that the stable be floored and extra windows added so it could serve as the school. A ratepayers meeting was held to discuss re-building or possibly consolidation with the Erickson School.
On June 30th, 1917 the trustees accepted Mr.
Paulson's tender to rebuild the school. On November 18, 1922 the ratepayers met and decided to have occasional dances at school. The beginning of 1923, Miss Dandy began to conduct evening classes in English because of the many nationalities in the district.
In 1937, the school was moved so the entrance would face No. 10 Highway. At this time, a full basement and a furnace was installed which proved much more satisfactory than the corner heater. In 1938, two hundred maple tree's as well as a few other trees were planted. The students helped with the planting and keeping them free of weeds. They were rewarded with candy from the school trustees.
In the 1950's, improvements were made by installing an oil furnace and indoor toilets. Over the years this school has provided much entertainment for both young and old. Highlights being the annual Christmas concerts,