|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 157 or Next - Page 159
NEDROB SCHOOL NO. 1934 AND COMMUNITY
by Lorna Turner
At council meeting held February 10, 1914, a petition was received from the rate-payers of the north part of 18- 17W, asking for a school site in that area. A Mr. Jepheson requested to get the necessary field notes and finish up the surveying at the earliest date possible.
As the area became well populated, residents felt the need for a school for the children. According to old records the first ratepayers meeting was held August 30, 1918 at the home of Mr. Thos. J. Palser for the purpose of electing a chairman and secretary and the transaction of other business. Mr. Thos J. Palser was elected as the first chairman and Mr. John MacKay the first Secretary Treasurer. Mr. Chas. Carlson, the other trustee ap pointed. The second meeting was held at the home of Mr. John MacKay on October 7, 1918. At that meeting we read that Mr. Thos. J. Palser and Mr. Chas. Carlson were elected to look after the buying of a school site. Other items of business at that meeting included the passing of By-law No.1 and that the trustees advertise in the Minnedosa Tribune and put up notices for tenders to build a school house. At that same meeting the Secretary Treasurer's remuneration was fixed at $20.00 per annum. October 26, 1918 the Duke and McDonalds offer of a school site at $10.00 per acre was accepted by the board of trustees. On January 20, 1919 a motion was passed by the trustees to call a meeting of the ratepayers of the district for the purpose of considering the expediency of raising money by way of a loan for the purpose of building and equipping a School House. All ratepayers were required to be present.
At the home of Reeve P. Christopherson February 4, 1919, the all important meeting was held for the purpose of passing a By-law to borrow $3,000.00 on the credit of the said school district, for the purpose of building and furnishing a school. The money was borrowed from the Bank of Hamilton at Minnedosa, Manitoba and the twenty debentures bearing the rate of 70/0 were payable annually on the first day of February. The last debenture was paid February 1st, 1940. The trustees, February 17, 1919 requested that an official trustee be appointed until such time as school accommodation was provided. They wrote to the Deputy Minister, R. Fletcher, Department of Education and as a result Mr. Fallis was appointed the official trustee.
With the school district established in September 1918, and the schoolhouse constructed in 1919, Nedrob district became a hub of activity.
Nedrob School was built on section 25-18-18W. It served the community well. When choosing a name for the school, some of the residents wished to honour the Prime Minister of Canada, The Rt.-Hon. Borden. Those who weren't of his political party were opposed. Some enterprising ratepayer suggested "Nedrob" which was the same name with its spelling reversed and all was well! Ready for operation September, 1919, a Miss Pearl Pockett was hired as the first teacher with a school enrollment of eleven pupils. The first pupils of Nedrob School included Olive Bechdoldt, John Crantz, Amy
Crantz, Edith Holm, Earl Lindgren, Ruth Palser, Tom Palser, Fritz Sjogren all in grade 1; Euphemia MacKay Grade II and Margaret Pennell in Grade IV; Miss Pockett received a monthly salary of $80.00. Miss Reta L. McKenzie was hired as the second teacher with a monthly salary of $85.00.
A school well was deemed necessary and the contract was given to Mr. W. Townley at $2.00 per foot with lumber for the cribbing supplied by Mr. Palser for the twenty-five foot well at a cost price of $12.50. Other items of business included a box social held at the Temperance Hall for the purpose of providing the school with Kindergarten supplies and games for school use.
Nedrob School No. 1934.
$42.00 was realised from this event and as a result the well was cleaned out, black boards, a dictionary, and a new flag purchased. During the Nedrob school days the flag was raised every morning before school classes commenced and taken down at four o'clock by an ap pointed student. Women of the community were hired to scrub and clean the school yearly. Mrs. Thos. Palser received $lO.oo for her efforts January 19, 1922. On May 20 of that same year, Mr. Oscar Oberg was hired to break the first fire guard for the sum of $10.00. Can you imagine the outside lavatories cleaned and disinfected, a screen door hung and the well cleaned out - all for the sum of $lO.oo? Those were the prices charged in 1922. As a stable was necessary for the children's horses, Mr. John L. Purvis was given the contract to erect a building 12 feet x 14 feet long and 8 feet front and a 6 foot high back with the foundation using 6 x 6 tamaracks, set on stone walls, sheathed, tarpapered, sided, shingle roof and one window on door 4 foot wide. Mr. Purvis was paid $100.00 for building the barn and another $8.80 for the mangers.