|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 158 or Next - Page 160
A gathering of former Nedrob District Residents. Mr. and Mrs. O.N.E. Holm and children Ruby, Adelia and Waiter, Mr. and Mrs. Mike Kaskawal, Nellie, Nick and Margert, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Bodro, Stanley, Edna and Waiter, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Tiller, Lorna, Laura, Harry and Mildred, Mrs. B. Christie and son Irvine, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Ericson and family, Winona, Ruth, Helen, Danny, Evangeline, Mr. and Mrs. Einar Nelson, John and Norman, Martha Holm and Jonas Anders.
It is also interesting to note that six cords of wood was purchased for the school from the late Mr. Einar Nelson for the sum of $13.40 back in 1927.
Nebrob school served the community for ap proximately thirty years before it was finally closed. The school was a frame construction and had three rooms, the class room, cloak room and the teachers room where the science equipment was kept. It also had an organ, a small library of good reading books, a globe and ap proximately ninety eight square feet of blackboard.
The average distance from school of children between the age of five and sixteen (inclusive) was approximately two and one half miles. No bus service in those days. For a number of pupils who came a distance, it was a happy relief to stop at one of the neighbors. Mr. Per Olson made the youngsters welcome and there, they would warm their toes before they walked nearly another mile to the school.
The first teacher was paid $80.00 a month and the last teacher Miss Stella Paulsen received a total annual salary of $700.00. A letter found in the last school register dated February 17, 1945 read as follows:
Nedrob S.D. No. 1934
Miss Stella I. Paulsen Scandinavia, Man.
May we congratulate you and your class for having a perfect record of attendance for the month of January.
School attendance Officer.
Pupils attending school then were Marjorie Wasylenko, Billy Wasylenko, Betty Jo Wasylen~o, Mildred Anderson, Ardith Swanton, Olga Zacharkiw, Kenneth Nylen, Russell Tiller and Ellen Tiller. Due to a small attendance the school was closed in 1945. Nedrob
school was absorbed by Otter Lake School. In 1950 transportation was provided from Nedrob to Otter Lake. Mr. Cecil Nylen was paid the sum of $40.00 for tran sportation. Carol Nylen and her brother Glen were the first pupils from Nedrob to attend the school at Otter Lake which was opened in 1940.
Former pupils recall many happy memories of their childhood days. Whenever there is an opportunity to be together they are reminded of the happy times spent together at Nedrob - the box and pie socials, and the huge crock of lemonade, held at the O.N.E. Holm residence as their place seemed to be the centre of the community. We are also reminded of annual school picnics held at the end of June. This took place at Peacy Lake. There we would run races on the beach, swim or boat and pick off the blood suckers that were so fond of us. Our happy day concluded with a picnic supper prepared by the mothers of the children. The trustees always provided prizes for the races. The annual Christmas concert was another exciting event - Santa Claus always made his appearance presenting every boy and girl with a gift (one year the girls received pink or grey fleece-lined bloomers and the boys socks) very thoughtful of him indeed as well as his usual treat of an apple, orange, candy and nuts. The Christmas concert always ended with an adult play which provided a great deal of laughter. Mr. W. Taylor always did a fine job as the M.e. and Mr. Chris Olson as Santa Claus. Mr. Chas. Carlson always saw that the fires were lit and a Christmas tree both inside and outside the
|school was provided by him.||i|
A great attraction in those days was the S~andinavia Fur farm and the Riding Mountain Fox Farm - not only for the Nebrob young folk but for others from far and near. Many of the school children had an opportunity to snare rabbits as they were plentiful in those days and sell them to the fox farms for a cent and a half or two cents each. This provided the youngsters with a bit of spending money.
The Go-Getter Club believed to have been started by Edith (Holm) Stenberg was held at a different home once a month and always proved to be a lot of fun for the young people, as well as the Calf Club organized by Mr. Wm. Taylor. Mrs. Tiller will always be remembered for the cream puffs she made and shared with the school children at a special function.
Memory is the treasury of all things - to pause and look back on those happy times.
During and after the Second World War many of the young people left Nedrob and settled further afield and as a result the school attendance waned. As a result Nedrob school was closed at the end of the term in 1945. As people moved back into the district between then and 1960 a request was made to have the school re-opened September 1960. Mr. Harold Gilleshammer was hired as the teacher with an enrollment of eight pupils. Harold taught for one year. Mrs. Mary Thoren was th~ last teacher to teach in Nedrob. Nedrob school was fmally closed permanently at the end of the term in 1964. Russell Tiller was the last chairman on the board with Mrs. Olive McClay as Secretary. The school was s~ld and a monument now stands in its place as a memonal of those by-gone days.