|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 23 or Next - Page 25
Aerial view of Erickson - 1952.
The Village of Erickson with a population of 540 residents is located on Provincial Trunk Highway No. 10, twelve miles south of Riding Mountain National Park and halfway between Brandon and Dauphin. Its elevation is 2054' which makes it the highest village in Manitoba.
The railroad officials, in choosing a location for the village, selected S.W. 7-18-18W on the levelland along the river (the Ole O. Lee homestead currently owned by Henry Wall). However, the settlers to the south and east drew up a petition asking for the present location, and this was granted. The railroad later built a water tower at the river and the trains stopped there regularly to take on water. This structure was destroyed by fire in the late 20's.
Erickson in the Early years.
At the entrance to Erickson on No. 10 Highway.