This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 306 or Next - Page 308

daughter, Mary. He purchased land in the R.M. of Clanwilliam, Section 28-17-17, lived there for a short time and then purchased 40 acres in the Scandinavia area. He lived there until he pased away in 1929. Their children were all born In Bilskalo, Vasilina, Ukraine.

George was born on February 15, 1900. He came to Canada with his parents in 1910 and farmed on N.E 3-17- 18 for a few years. He passed away in March, 1977.

Lena was born on January 10, 1903, and came to Canada in 1910. She worked at various jobs and married George Gareau on May 2, 1919, at Portage la Prairie, Man. (refer to G. Gareau). Lena re-married Ernest Erickson on August 31, 1947. (refer to E. Erickson).

Alice was born in the Ukraine and came to Canada with her parents in 1910. She married Steve Stolaruk of Winnipeg, Man. Alice resides in Winnipeg. Steve passed away in 1978.


by Archie and Suzanne

Archie was raised in Strathclair and married Suzanne de Moissac, of Winnipeg, in the spring of 1973.

They moved to the Erickson district in May of 1973 as a result of being stationed there with the Manitoba Telephone System. Archie's first office was a room in the old Rest Room building that is presently the Perky

Archie, Suzanne, Monique and Anc{rew Campbell.

Pioneer Centre. In 1975 a Telephone building was built, where the present office is.

They bought a lot in Erickson in early 1973 and built a house during the summer, doing most of the construction themselves. In October they moved into the house with Monique, their nine-month old daughter.

Archie joined the Lions Club and has held most offices in the club. He became part of a committee to study the feasibility of building a new arena or restoring the old arena, and then became part of the Erickson Arena Building Committee.

Suzanne worked on the Arena Operating Committee for the new rink the first year it was organized. She also helps the Erickson Ladies Hockey and Skating Auxiliary.

In December, 1977, their son Andrew was born in Minnedosa Hospital.

They are involved in community work and their children are involved in figure-skating, skating, piano, school and winter activities. In summer they enjoy biking, camping, fishing and swimming.

They are presently residing in Erickson.


by Colin Campbell

Immediately after our marriage in the fall of 1937, I ­ Colin Campbell - and my wife Margaret McMullen, took up residence on the south half of 15-17-17W. The southeast quarter of this section had been bought from the Crown in 1900 by my father, Hugh Campbell, of Franklin and the southwest quarter was bought from Billie Wake, a Minnedosa businessman, in 1902. No one had lived permanently on this land before us.

My mother was the former Matilda Koping, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eric Koping, pioneer settlers who lived on N.W. 14-17-17W.

In the late 1890's and later, all farming at Franklin was done with horses and often feed for these horses, in dry years, was scarce. It was for this reason my father bought and kept this farm as it had on it a very large hay meadow, from which often one hundred or more loads of the choicest "Red Top" and "Blue Joint" hay could be taken and stacked. This hay would then be hauled to Franklin on sleighs in the winter, a distance of 22 miles. In years when the hay was not needed at home it could always be sold locally.

Over the years, in slack times, my father was able to break up about 80 acres. Some years this land was rented out to neighbors, some years it was cropped from Franklin and during the depression, it was not cropped at all and quickly went back to "Red Top" hay.

There were only a couple of granaries on this place until 1930 when my father bought the former Lund schoolhouse and had it moved to the S.W. of 15-17-17W where it served as a place to stay in when we happened to be working on the place. Later on we had this building partitioned and renovated and we lived in it for twelve years following our marriage. I might add here that another Campbell, my sister Anna, taught school in this building in the late 1920's and another Campbell, my sister Jessie, taught in the new Lund schoolhouse in the