|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 307 or Next - Page 309
In 1938, we built a new barn and in the late fall we bought 10 head of bred cows at the Winnipeg Stockyards. Murray's Truck Service of Neepawa delivered them right to the barn door one cold November day. For the sake of the record, these 10 head of cows cost, including com mission, insurance, freight, plus original price to producer, a total of slightly less than three hundred dollars. These cattle were bought at market price, the poor producer could not have gotten much over $20.00 per head. Now a two-day old calf sells for $60.00. By the time spring came all the new cows had calves, and along with calves from other cows we already had, it seemed like in no time we had calves "coming out our ears".
We had good crops in those years but grain prices were extremely low and stayed low until after the war ended. Cattle prices were also low and stayed that way until after much prodding, the Canadian government lifted the embargo they had placed during the first panic months of World War II on Canadian cattle exports to U.S. The scheme seemed to be to have the Canadian cattle producer provide the Canadian factory worker with cheap beef. The federal government at that time provided what were called incentive to go "all out" raising hogs as they had large contracts to supply Britain with pork products.
We have three daughters. Doreen, born in 1939, and Leona, born in 1943, were both born at Mrs. Biczo's nursing home in Erickson with Dr. Rutledge in at tendance. Our third daughter, Ida, was born in Neepawa in 1949. Doreen started her education at Lund School in 1945 with Mrs. Ethel DeJersey teaching.
Some of the disadvantages of life at Lund S.D. in those times were such swarms of mosquitoes during the summer which made life during the evenings hideous for man and beast. In those times our roads were terrible, becoming impassable after every passing shower. We were prone to early fall frosts and seemed a long way from high school or grain elevator.
In 1948, we heard of a farm for sale one mile from Eden which we bought. In 1949, we sold our Lund farm to the Nick Chemerika family and moved to Eden. We had good neighbors at Lund - Uncle Jim and Aunt Emma Turner, Larson's, Sundmark's, Chemerika's, Wark's, Nyquist's, Skoglund's, Benson's to name a few.
In 1980, with old age "sneaking up" on us, we sold our farm at Eden and bought a house on 3rd Street SE in Erickson, where we are contently living today.
CAMPBELL, JOHN AND CAROLINE
by Elsie Kingdon
John Moody was born in Dublin, Ireland, of Highland Scottish gentry, in the year 1841. He had become restless and ran away to sea at an early age. He left the sea with the rank of Captain to marry Caroline Margaret Polden. During his years at sea, John travelled to many parts of the world. He then bought and operated a large hotel, Bersford Arms in Ballymena, Ireland, for many years. Then due to changing times, he gave up his business and moved to Canada with his wife and eight children,
arriving in Minnedosa, Manitoba, in the spring of 1893. In the spring of 1894, he homesteaded N.E. 34-16-18W.
By the fall of 1894, a log cabin and essential farm buildings had been built with the aid of neighbourly building "bees". The Campbells were now able to move into their new home, making many adjustments in this new environment. John was well over middle age and of course unaccustomed to farm work and farm animals. Caroline took up the unaccustomed tasks of farm housewife. She took up nursing in a practical way, as many of the women did in those early days, helping their neighbors in times of illness, as well as adding to the families meagre income. She also taught music, being an accomplished pianist. Caroline played the organ in All Saints Church. The Campbells called their new home "Ireland's Eye". The clearing and breaking of land was of course very slow in those days, being done with axe and single breakers and horses, but the land was very fertile.
Education of the younger members of the family was a difficult problem to the Campbells. The nearest school was too great a distance to go from home so some of the children stayed with neighbors nearer to school for a time, but the main part had to be accomplished at home. In the year 1904, a new house was built in the Southwest of the quarter section, also stables, henhouse, etc. This house was constructed of tin, and was brought to the farm in sections. In 1911, the Campbells sold what had now become a comfortable home, after many years of toil, and they moved to a new farm at Bangor, Saskat chewan. The Campbell's homestead was taken over by Edgar Eldred in 1911. John and Caroline Campbell had ten children; Margaret, William, Helen, Elizabeth, Fannie, Emily, Caroline, Margaret, Walter and Jack.
John, Caroline Campbell andfamily.