This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 390 or Next - Page 392

sawmills. He often mentioned the name of Victor Wallstrom.

When World War 1 began, Albin enlisted in the 29th Battalion in British Columbia. He was wounded at Vimy Ridge. After the war, Albin homesteaded on Vancouver Island, where he worked at a logging camp as a Licenced Steam Operator. He operated a "Donkey" Steam Engine which pulled the logs through the bush by cable. He recalled the "High Riggers" men who had to climb a "Spur" tree to attach the pulley which the cable ran through.

Returning to Manitoba in 1922, Albin came to the Crawford Park area where on May 10 of the same year, applied for homestead on S.E. 28-19-19W through the Soldiers Settlement Grant which he received. Albin had also purchased S.E. 22-18-20W of the Sandy Lake area. This land was purchased by Matt Zahodnick on March 22, 1933. During the winter months for several years, Albin returned to British Columbia to work in logging camps. Paul Paulsen and Ed Bergeson cared for the farm and horses.

In the late 1920's, Albin lost his home (a bunk house) by fire. A trunk with personal possessions including pictures were all destroyed. He built another home. Throughout the years, he was involved with farming, sawmills and threshing outfits.

In 1929, Albin became a member of the Clear Lake Legion Branch No. 67. He married Alma Svenson at Brandon in 1929. They had two children; John and Jane. Son John recalls hired men working for his father were; Ed Bergeson, Albert Hanson, Pat Ferguson, the Mayor and McLaughlin boys. Their close neighbours were; Jim Coey's, Edgar Miller's, Ed Coey's, Charlie and John Holt.

Albin and brother-in-law Miles Sevenson with their steam engines moved the Clear Lake Hall from one quarter mile south of Clear Lake to a new location three to four miles south, also moved the United Church camp from the Reid farm to the present location.

In 1938, Albin, Alma and family moved to the Onanole area. For a short while, they lived on the Kolobinsky farm - now Sportsmans Park, until they purchased a store at Onanole from Martindales.

They had the only pay phone at Onanole during World War II. This service sometimes kept the family busy, delivering messages, sometimes sad and sometimes not. Albin and Alma were active members of the Onanole Curling Club. In 1942, Albin purchased the P.S.V. Franchise, truck and Imperial Oil agency from Conrad Halverson. In 1946, the store was sold to Wm. Nichol and the sawmill to Joseph Hendrick.

The same year, Albin purchased the Erickson Transfer from Philip and Ernest Gusdal. The transfer building was situated on Third Street South. It was later sold to Jack Cutter and Trevor John who operated a John Deere dealership. Albin built the present Erickson Transfer building. Men working over the years for the Transfer were, Stu MacKay, Ray Svenson, Ed Bergeson, Mark Soltys, Harry Zahodniak, Mike Podruski, Stan Podruski, Arden Erickson, Walter Jacobson, Wilbert Jacobson and Art Holmberg. Bookkeepers were; Scotty Bell, Rose Soltys and John Gustafson.

Five generations of Gustafsons. Top, Left to Right: Johan, Ida, Albin, Alma Gustafson. Jim, Jane, Alvin and David Austin. Terence, John, and Leona Gustafson. Sandra Austin, Deborah, Jennifer, Sean and Brandy Gustafson.

In 1958, the Erickson Transfer was sold to George and Pete Gushulak. Albin purchased the former Ivar's Cafe, added a part on east side of the building. It was sold to Jack Sitko and Harry Dmyterko who started the Mar­ shall Wells Store.

Albin and son John operated a Gravel construction business until Albin retired. He was a member of the Erickson Lutheran Church, served a term on Council when the Village was first incorporated.

Albin passed away on June 27, 1968 at Clear Water, B.C. and is buried in the Erickson Cemetery. Alma is a member of the Erickson Lutheran Church and also the E.L.C.W. Group. She continued sewing her own clothes until her eyesight failed. She is presently living in Parkland Home in Erickson.

Their children are; John (refer to Gustafson, John and Leona).

Jane was born on S.E. 28-19-19W in the Crawford Park district on July 11, 1934, where she lived until the age of four. She attended Elementary school at Onanole.

Jane was Erickson Carnival Queen in 1951, graduating from Erickson High school the following year. She then attended Success Business College in Winnipeg for one year, taking a secretarial course.

Her first job was with Ferguson and Burgess, Law Firm, in Minnedosa where she was employed for four years, then moving to Winnipeg and working for Maple Leaf Mills Limited. During a week-end visit home she met her future husband, Al Austin, at a dance at Clear

391