This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 406 or Next - Page 408

One year there was a prairie fire coming across the neighbor's field toward our house. Dad got the team and plow and plowed a few furrows to keep the fire from our house. Then Paul, Pete and I had to go out with wet gunny sacks and watch to see that the fire didn't go across the plowed ground.

One night a hailstorm came up and ruined most of the grain that was nearly ready for harvesting. Just one end of the oat field was left standing.

One time in 1914 we were going to a picnic and a hail­ storm came up. As Dad turned around so as not to face the storm, one of the horses went wild. She started kicking and running and tipped the buggy over. She kicked herself loose from the buggy and got away. We were left in the mud and rain four miles from home with one horse. Hilma was in the front with Dad and the boys. As the buggy rolled over, she was thrown out over a fence but didn't get hurt. None of us was hurt bad enough to have a doctor's care. The one horse left pulled us home while Dad walked beside her holding the opposite end of the neck yoke to hold the buggy tongue up.

We went to school in Erickson. Our church was the Seventh Day Adventist and services were held in the homes.

One time when we went to a celebration in Erickson, the little kids were running and playing. Hilma fell and skinned her knee. An Indian lady picked her up and held her. Hilma was more afraid of the Indian lady than her sore knee.

I can remember Dad and Grandpa Danielson going fishing when it was freezing cold. They would bring home fish and hang them in the machine shed to freeze.

Dad was one of the first in the area to own a car. It was a 1916 Model T Ford. During the last two years at Erickson he had a tractor to farm with.

We all had our work to do on the farm - in the fields and caring for the stock. In the summer the cattle were turned out on open range and every evening it was our job (usually two of us) to go and round them ~p. There were approximately thirty cows. We had to bnng them into the corral for the night. At times it would get dark while rounding up the cows and we would be scared. When the coyotes started howling, we would hold onto a bell cow.

We had a lot of fun, too, playing in the snow. Skating on the lakes, riding horseback, etc. Looking back, I think we had an interesting life on the farm.

The only time we had a doctor come to the place was in 1918 when we all had the flu. Paul got pneumonia and had to go to the hospital in Minnedosa for awhile. Uncle Hartwig came out about every two days to see how ~e were getting along. Grandpa and Grandma came quite often and a friend, by the name of Stratton, came every day and took care of the stock.

Dad sold out in Erickson, Manitoba in 1919. A man by the name of Russell Tiller lives on the place now. Sep­ tember 9, 1919, Dad left Erickson with his family by train for Portland, Oregon. He bought a place east of Lebanon, Oregon near Sweet Home.

February 27, 1920, my mother passed away and the family broke up. Some went to live with other people. Paul and Pete went out on their own. In 1922, Dad

remarried, to Mary Pettigrew at Junction City, Oregon.

Dad died September 16, 1948, at Roseburg, Oregon.


The grown family of Kristoffer and Regina Hanson came with their parents to the Erickson district shortly after the turn of the century. They applied for patent on S.E. 6-18-18W in April of 1903 and built their home on this property. They also acquired the N.W. 31-17-18W which was always referred to as "Sarah's homestead" though it was registered in Mrs. Hanson's name. This was railroad property. The other two sisters, Mabel and Dorothy, obtained permits to teach and taught in the Erickson, Tales and Norland schools. The two sons, Harold and Sam, cleared and broke the land. They were a musical family which added to their popularity in the community.

Harold spent three or four years in Alberta freighting with a team and wagon or sleigh on the Edson trail to Grande Prairie. He would make one and a half trips a year. When the railroad was built to the Peace River country, he returned home to take over the farm as Sam had enlisted in the First World War. The three sisters and Sam all returned to the U.S.A. and married there.

After a lengthy illness, Mr. Hanson passed away in 1923 at the age of eighty-nine. Mrs. Hanson spent the next summers on the farm with Harold and the winters with Dorothy. In the summer of 1932, Mabel and her husband brought her home for the last time. She died in July at the age of eighty-three.

Regina Hanson