|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 407 or Next - Page 409
Harold was an enthusiastic supporter of the Danvers and Erickson ball teams. He would arrive at their games in his open Model T Ford with his dog in the back seat. They would find a good spot to watch the game and when Harold cheered the dog howled. This provided a lot of enjoyment for other spectators.
As well as farming Harold raised foxes until the depression years dropped prices so low it wasn't profitable anymore. In later years he rented out the land to neighbours until he sold it in 1944 to S. Marcischuk of Sandy Lake. After his auction sale, he took a trip to the U.S.A. to visit his relatives. He returned to live in a small cottage in the 0.0. Lee farmyard. He had just nicely gotten settled when he suffered a heart attack and died on July 1, at the age of sixty-nine. The Hanson family burial plot is in the Bethel cemetery.
HARALSON, JACOB AND HELEN
by Arthur Haralson
Jacob and Helen of Sweden and their children Carl, August, Gust, Claus, Matilda, Fred and Selma, moved to Waterton, Minnesota, U.S.A. in 1882, and became American citizens in 1886. Jacob moved to Erickson in 1898, and homesteaded N.W. 32-17-18W and bought N.E. 31-17-18W and farmed until his death in 1916. August Haralson moved to Erickson in 1898, and homesteaded on N.E. 4-18-18W now occupied by Clifford Carlson. He then sold it to P .K. Peterson and Martin Bergeson and moved in with his parents and also bought W. 1/2 5-18-18W and farmed with his parents until his death in 1917.
HARALSON, CLAUS AND EMMA
Claus lived in Minnesota where he worked on a Fruit Breeding Farm at Excelsior, Minn. He also worked at the Rose Hill Nursery in St. Paul. He married Emma Olde in 1906, who was born in Vaswagon, Norway. They im migrated to Canada in 1909, to Erickson to farm on his brother's farm W. 1/2 5-18-18W. He was active in community affairs - church board member, local school board for many years. He also acted on the first Farmer's elevator board until it was taken over by Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1926 where he served many years on the board.
They had a family of four; Clarence, Arthur, Ethel and Oliver.
Their mother passed away in 1927 and Claus in 1962. Clarence born in Excelsior, Minn., got all his schooling at Erickson. He was an Elevator helper at Coulter, Manitoba, and in 1928, started buying grain for Manitoba Pool Elevators at Dunrea, Manitoba. He married Evelyn Drader while there. He also bought grain at Forrest, Manitoba, and then on to Winnipeg where he graded grain for Canadian Wheat Board. Later he worked for Manitoba Power Commission until his death in 1962.
Ethel stayed at home and helped till she went to
The Haralson Family. Arthur, Emma, Clarence, Ethel, Claus, and Oliver.
Winnipeg to take a secretarial course. She worked for Dutricks Motors in Morris, Manitoba, till 1952. She then worked as secretary at United College, which is now the University of Winnipeg. She is now retired and living in The Lion's Manor in Winnipeg.
Oliver John born in 19l3, got all his schooling in Erickson. He later went to Trail, B.C., where he worked in the smelter for several years. He enlisted in the Air Force in 1939, spent two years training throughout places in Canada. On going overseas, he trained in England till 1942, and soon was on active duty over Germany. He was reported missing in June, 1942, like alot of the boys from Erickson were at that time.
HARALSON, ARTHUR AND ANN
Arthur L. born in Excelsior, Minn., moved with his family into Erickson in 1909. He started school in 1915, in the old school, which is now the Erickson Hardware Store after being moved down from the original place. He stayed at home and helped farm until 1937, with the exception of a few jobs such as trucking in summer and to Dryden, Ontario, cutting pulp and hewing railroad ties. In the spring of 1937, with his friend, Ernest Stone, he went North to Flin Flon and Sherridon to get work. He got on at Sachigo River, Ontario, gold mining about 150 miles east of Gods Lake, Manitoba. Transportation was limited as he had to go 500 miles by plane having only two holidays in four years. On October, 1941, he married Ann Hill at a quiet wedding in Winnipeg. She was employed at Frank Clements and A. Doner's Store at Clear Lake. In November of 1941, Ann and Art moved to Sherridon where he was employed underground in a copper mine. While at Sherridon, Clare was born in 1944. In July, 1944, they moved back to take over the original farm. Art served on several boards such as; The Rolling River School Division Board for two years; Local School Board for ten years; District Hospital Board for ten years; Erickson Credit Union Board about ten years. Ann and Arthur have now retired living in Erickson since 1966. If Kenneth decides to farm that will make it the fifth generation of Haralsons to carryon, on the same