|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 449 or Next - Page 451
Andy, married Carrie Backlund, and they farmed on S.W. 1-17-18W for a number of years, then moved to New Westminster, B.C. Andy worked in the Sawmill but because of family ties they moved back to Manitoba and bought S.E. 14-17-18W from John Borgstrom, and lived there until 1946 when they returned to New Westminster, B.C. and Andy worked in the sawmill until he retired. Carrie worked at Royal Columbia Hospital until her retirement. They have three daughters, Doreen of Seattle, Washington, Shirley, and Sharon of New Westminister, B.C. Andy passed away on March 9, 1983, at the age of 77 years.
JOHNSON, CARL FREDRICK AND SOFIA
by Esther Benson
Carl Fredrick and Sofia came to Canada from Sweden in 1909. They lived in Winnipeg and rural Minnedosa until 1917 when they came to the R.M. of Clanwilliam, making their home on S. W. 10-17 -17W. The three youngest of their seven children accompanied them, Helge, Esther and Edwin.
Mrs. Johnson is buried in Immanuel Cemetery and after her death, Mr. Johnson moved to Calgary with his son Edwin.
Helge married Jennie Henson and they lived in many places. He was a mechanical supervisor for Robin Hood Mills and worked over most of Canada. On his retirement, he returned to the R.M. of Clanwilliam. He bought N.W. 6-17-17W and lived there until his death in 1967. Jennie died in Vancouver many years before.
Esther married Ole Benson (refer to Benson, Ole). Edwin lived in Calgary but has not contacted his sister for years.
JOHNSON, CARL J. AND OLGA
by Ida Pearson
Carl John Johnson was born July 12, 1876, in Smoland, Sweden, and emigrated to Wausa, Nebraska, with his mother at the age of nine. Mr. Johnson left Nebraska in 1894, moving to Canada, where he bought a homestead at Scandinavia, Man.
Mrs. Johnson, nee Olga Carlson, was born March 12, 1881, in Harnas, Skinskatteberg, Sweden. In 1895, she and her sister Annie emigrated to Canada to join their mother and father, Mr. and Mrs. Victor o. Carlson, who had emigrated the previous year and settled in Scan dinavia, Man.
Mr. and Mrs. Carlson had a grocery store and post office in their home. This is where Carl Johnson bought groceries and picked up his mail, travelling by horseback. When he met these Carlson sisters and shook their hands, Olga's hand vibrated his heart. It was love at first sight and, of course, shopping became more frequent. Wedding plans were soon under way. Andrea Carlson, mother of Anne Larson, Calgary, was engaged to sew the wedding gown and Mr. Johnson's suit was tailored by Mr. Nels Halvarson. They were married January 30, 1904, in Scandinavia by the Rev. Rosenthal at the home
of J .A. Gustafson.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were members of the Lutheran Church in Scandinavia and attended services regularly in spite of sub-zero weather and travelling by sleigh box for eight or ten miles. Julotta services, which started at 6:00 a.m. were never missed. They dressed their four children, Clarence, Harvey, Lillie and Ida the night before, heated an iron or two and blanket, and were ready to start out at 4:00a.m.
During late summer and fall Mr. Johnson was busy with a harvesting crew and was responsible for the upkeep of the machines and moving them from farm to farm. In the winter he used to be away two to three days at a time to cut wood to haul down to Minnedosa on a sleigh, which took another two days, and brought home flour, sugar and coffee. Of course there was the upkeep of his homestead but he still found time for hunting and fishing with his neighbours and friends.
Mrs. Johnson was no less active. Their home was immaculately clean - wooden floors were scrubbed white; the garden, some outdoor chores, four small children, all were attended to; and of course, sewing, crocheting and embroidering were a big part of pioneer women's life. That was the day of bleached flour sacks for sheets, pillow cases, tablecloths, curtains, tea towels, etc.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson farmed for ten years. When Mrs. Johnson's health started to fail they sold the farm in 1914 to Mr. P. Tiller from Kansas, father of Harry Tiller, Sr., and moved to Erickson. Their transportation was a team of horses, Dan and Dexter, hitched to a hayrack which carried all their belongings. Mrs. Johnson and the four children rode in the democrat hitched to the hayrack, with a cow tied to the democrat.
Their first home in Erickson was the upstairs of the old creamery across from the railway station. Mrs. Johnson was very tired and weary after a whole day's travel. Mr. Johnson had to carry her up a long flight of stairs, set up the beds, get supper and tend to the children, horses and cow.
In 1914, Mr. Johnson entered into business. He went to Winnipeg and ordered his merchandise and opened the first hardware store in Erickson on Main St. where Barney's Shell station is now located. The family lived above the store until Mr. Johnson bought a house from Mr. Pete Sauczyn, a CNR section foreman who had been transferred.
Mr. Johnson also installed the first gas pump in town for Imperial Oil. Clarence delivered gasoline and oil to the Riding Mountain National Park, Crawford Park, Onanole, and the surrounding farming area. With hard work and integrity the business continued to enlarge so that the little store on the corner became too small. Also, the village population continued to grow. The school became too small so a new school was built. Mr.Johnson bought the old schoolhouse building for $200, had it moved down to Main St. where it is still situated, and this became the new Erickson Hardware.
Lillie and Ida were very fond of babies and would spend Saturday afternoons wheeling babies up and down the wooden sidewalks on Main St. Some of these babies were Martha Gusdal, Elvie Miller, Margaret Squire and Marjorie Mutch, to mention a few. Mr. and Mrs.