|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 461 or Next - Page 463
Nicole, Wendy, Vince, Layton Northey.
schooling at Erickson, Manitoba graduating from grade twelve in 1971. She, too, attended Sunday School, was confirmed into the Lutheran faith, was a Luther League member, a 4-H member, and was very interested in figure skating. She attended figure skating school in Brandon during the summer of 1967, and she also helped to in struct the younger children in figure skating. She worked during the summers at Knight's Parkview Cabins and at Earley's Pharmacy. After graduation, Wendy enrolled at Red River Community College for a course in Creative Communications. She did not complete the course and went to work for Manitoba Hydro. In the fall of 1972, she and her girlfriend, Marlene Slobodian, travelled throughout Europe and on their return worked at at Churchill, Manitoba for several months. Wendy later moved to Thompson, Manitoba to work and there she met and married Vince Northey in June, 1974. Vince worked for Inco, operating heavy machinery and later did similar work at Hinton, Alberta. He has worked on the oil rigs and is presently working at a gas plant at Nevis, Alberta. Wendy has worked in the Royal Bank since her marriage but mainly as a mother and homemaker, although just recently has been employed as a receptionist at the Bashaw Cheese Plant. They have two children: Layton James, born January 10, 1978, and Nicole Rae, born June 16, 1980. They make their home at Bashaw, Alberta, which is Vince's home town.
Barbara was born February 7, 1964, in Erickson and took her schooling at Erickson, graduating from grade twelve in June, 1982. Barb attended Sunday School, and was confirmed into the Lutheran faith, belonged to Luther League and Choir, and taught Sunday School. She took an interest in music and took piano lessons for a number of years. Barb also took a keen interest in figure skating and helped with instruction in both Erickson and Onanole. She was the first Carnival Queen to be crowned in the new skating arena. She also takes a very active interest in curling and had the privilege of going to the Junior Girls' Provincials in Selkirk, Manitoba in 1982.
Barb worked part time and summers at Piett's Insurance and at the Wigwam Restaurant at Clear Lake. After graduation, Barb moved to Brandon where she worked and is presently taking a Business Accountancy course at Assiniboine Community College.
JOHNSTON, KEITH AND JANET
Keith was born in Grace Hospital in Winnipeg on May 3, 1930, and his first five years were spent at Alonsa, Manitoba. After moving with his family to the West mount district, S.W. 4-17-18W in 1935, Keith attended Crocus Hill school for 8 1/2 years and also went to Westmount school for a few months. For two or three years, Buster, the family dog, provided a reliable means of transportation to and from school - pulling skis in the winter and a two-wheeled cart in the summer. Buster remained at school for the day and during the winter months spent his noon hours pulling toboggans back up the hill.
Keith farmed with his dad for the next 10 years with the exception of six months, which he spent working in Gordon Freko's Garage. On March 31, 1956, Keith married Janet Mayhew of Binscarth. In 1957, they purchased the N.E. 31-16-18W and also the S.W. 5-17- 18W, home quarter, from Steve and Dora Marcino. In 1920, Mike Marcino, Steve's dad, had purchased the half section from Alfred Gustafson. The S.W. 5-17-18W was originally a Railway quarter which had been purchased in 1894 by Richard Seaman. Other land acquired in the next few years was the N.W. 31-16-18W in 1964, the S.W. 4- 17-18W, home quarter in 1966 and in 1967 the E. 11221- 16-18W which had been owned at one time by Keith's
The Keith Johnston Family. Left to Right: Shirley, Keith, Janet, and Melvin.