This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 462 or Next - Page 464

great grandfather, Thomas Turner, and is still known as the "Turner Place" .

Janet taught school at Crocus Hill, and Westmount until it closed in 1962.

Keith and Janet have two children:

Shirley, born December 20, 1963, and attended school in Erickson, graduating in June, 1982. She is now at­ tending Briercrest Bible College at Caronport, Saskat­ chewan.

Melvin, born July 26, 1965, received his education in Erickson and graduated in June, 1983. In the fall, he will be attending Red River Community College.

In August, 1979, Doug Mayhew, Janet's father, purchased a trailer and took up residence with his daughter and family. He enjoyed his daily walks with the dog, and was a great T.V. sports enthusiast, always keeping close track of his favorite hockey team. Doug was active up until his death, May 2, 1981.


by Arthur Kolberg

Stephen Kalberg was born Stefanus Olsson in the parish of Svanskog, Varmland, Sweden, on March 13, 1869. At an early age he left Sweden for Norway, and then at 19 years left with his sisters in hope of a better life across the Atlantic. They stopped in the United States where he worked for the summer. Haircuts couldn't have been too regular for him, for the story is told of how he bought a hat, then found after he got a haircut it fit over his ears.

That fall Stephen came up to Winnipeg where he worked on the track at Fort Whyte. This was just at the time of the dispute between the Great Northern Railway and the CPR (1888), and finding the threat of violence disturbing he left after two weeks for Rat Portage (Kenora) where he worked in the bush and sawmills. Now, because of the large number of Olsson's in Kenora, he changed his name to Kalberg.

At Kenora, he met Mary Pearson, who had come from the same province of Varmland, from the parish of Lysvik. She had come overseas to work first for her brother and sister-in-law, then at the hotel in Rat Portage as a waitress and cook. In 1895, they married, and built their home in Kenora. There three children were born ­ Ellen, Arthur and Adolf. They moved later to Vermillion Bay, where Steve worked for the CPR for a number of years, eventually becoming section foreman. Then in 1904 with some money saved, they headed west in search of land of their own.

They purchased land at Scandinavia, the N. 1/2 33-17- 17W, in the municipality of Clanwilliam. The deed was acquired in 1910. The family arrived in Minnedosa by train - the five of them plus their little dog Carlo who had been smuggled aboard. The 23 miles from Minnedosa to "the farm" seemed the longest, loneliest stretch of their trip to Arthur, then three. They walked in the last half mile to stay at the Lundgren's until Steve put up a shanty one mile away on N.W. 33-17-17W.

This was an entirely new experience for the Kalbergs.

The family remembers many experiences and hardships

Stephen and Mary Kolberg.

they lived through, as had other settlers. They had left an established home in Kenora, and their new home was no comparison. There were two more children born at Scandinavia - Walter, born in 1906, and Ethel, who died in infancy. Ethel's casket was made by a neighbor for them, and she was buried in Scandinavia cemetery.

When Walter was four he fell off a wagon and under the wheel. The doctor from Clanwilliam (we believe Dr. Mylk) was far away, and the boy lay in bed for a week before it was agreed he had to be seen by a doctor. The leg was splintered at the hip, and was put on a board and suspended from the ceiling. He was to remain suspended for six weeks. After that the blacksmith fashioned an iron brace for him to wear, but Walter soon tired of this and ended up carying the thing around in his hand.

Ellen, too, had a similar misfortune. When she was 16 she stepped in a hole, twisting her ankle. After nursing it at home and in Minnedosa over the winter she went to Winnipeg in the spring. She had developed tuberculosis in her ankle, and had to spend six months in Winnipeg for treatments. Money was always a problem, so to help, the neighbours put on a box social.

Going to the dentist was a memorable experience - if one didn't want to go all the way to Minnedosa, the blacksmith was available, with the tools he had made himself and a disinfectant something like a liniment.

Arthur remembers his sister bringing home different berries she had found as she walked home from school: dewberries, raspberries, and strawberries - these were all new treats to the rest of the children.

When Kalbergs first moved to Scandinavia, the children were something of an oddity. The rest of the children- spoke Swedish, and while the Kalberg children understood Swedish they spoke only English. They