This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 513 or Next - Page 515


by Della Nylen

Otto Magnusson, a cousin of O.N.E. Holm, and a cousin of the Gronlund boys, arrived in Canada with his brothers, Nils and Oscar, in 1912. They worked on the Grand Trunk Railroad at Prince George for two years.

Otto worked in various places cutting logs during the winters for the sawmills. He built a home on NW 24-18- 18. His brother, Michael, came from Sweden in 1931 and made his home with Otto.

In 1946, Otto went to live with John and Della Nylen at Otter Lake. He sold his farm to Jalmar and Astrid Johnson, Astrid being a younger sister of Mrs. Fred Nylen. Later Otto went to Clanwilliam to live with Ruth and Eugene Holm and moved with them to Minnedosa. He stayed there until he was admitted to the Personal Care Home in Minnedosa three years ago.

He is at present 94 years old. His brother, Nils, went back to Sweden and lived to the age of 102.


by Rose Malanchuk

Harry Malanchuk is the son of a pioneer family, Onofrey Malanchuk and Mary Kozlowski. His parents arrived in Canada from Western Ukraine in the spring of 1899 and after sometime settled on a homestead in the district of Olha. This is where Harry was born, grew up and attended "Zaparoza" school. Their closest town was Oakburn and then Shoal Lake and that's where they did all their shopping and other business.

In 1927, Harry completed his Barbering Course at the "Ideal Barbering" school in Winnipeg. Immediately upon completion he moved to Sandy Lake and rented a poolroom where he started his first business, barbering and operating five pool tables.

In 1930, he married Rose Nychek who at that time completed her high school in Oak burn. Rose is the daughter of the late Steve Nychek and Irene Derkach of Oakburn.

In 1931 Harry rented a space in his poolroom to Wally Raginski a "Watchmaker". Wally stayed and repaired watches and clocks over a period of two years. He was succeeded by Mr. Nicholson of Saskatchewan. During that time Harry acquired enough knowledge about watch repairing etc. so after both men left Sandy Lake, he started repairing watches as a side line. During the "Thirties", Harry charged 25 cents for a hair cut and 15 cents for a shaver

In 1939, when the second world war broke out business improved considerably so they stayed in Sandy Lake and worked until the end of the war. During war years, Rose was an active member of Sandy Lake ladies "Good Deed" club. This organization prepared and forwarded many parcels of food and knitted garments to the boys overseas.

In 1945, Harry decided to give up Barbering and poolroom and continue watch repairing only. He sold his business to Peter Prokopchuk and they moved to Shoal Lake.


Harry and Rose Malanchuk.

At that time there were two children in the family, their only daughter, Vivian, and son Arnold. They both were attending elementary school then. For several months after their arrival in Shoal Lake, the Malanchuk Family rented a suite from Nick Nychek. In the meantime they were proceeding with the building of their own, which contained business premises and living quarters. As soon as their building was ready for occupation they moved in and opened up their Jewellery Store and watch repairing in the fall of 1946. From then on Harry, with the help of his wife Rose, both worked long and tedious hours and had a successful business. During this time, their son Rodney, was born in 1954.

In 1959, they sold their building to an Insurance Agent, Ken Drozda and proceeded with another building on the opposite side of the street. Here they had living quarters and business premises too. They continued with the jewellery business and watch repairing until 1966. All in all they lived and worked in Shoal Lake for 21 years. Then they sold their property to Scot Warren and retired to Erickson, Manitoba.

During their years in Shoal Lake, Rose found time to participate in community work. She was an active member of Shoal Lake Ladies Hospital Aid, took part in 4-H club, belonged to a community choir sponsored by Rev. Father Romanyshyn and served in different capacities on the committee of Cubs and Scouts, Ladies Auxiliary and was a member of Ukrainian Women Association of Oakburn.

All three children participated in various school and community activities. Arnold played with Hamiota band. Both boys belonged to Cubs and Scouts while Vivian was a member of 4-H club.

The outstanding annual event of Shoal Lake was their Ice Carnival. One of the important items was a contest for Carnival Queen. At one of these events Vivian was