This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 556 or Next - Page 558

of travel being by sleighbox or cutter drawn by horses in the winter - buggy or wagon in the summer or walking. Skating at the neighborhood outdoor skating rink was enjoyed by the young folks of the district in the winter, and picnics, ball games and wiener roasts got everyone together in the summer.

Those days we walked everywhere we went. We walked to school everyday, then walked back after supper for the mail (two miles), three nights a week. We walked two miles to the church, many times to Young Peoples on Friday nights and morning and evening service on Sundays.

Sunday was a day for visiting. Many times Mum and Dad had people in after church for dinner and it was nothing to have fifteen to twenty people for supper on a Sunday evening.

If we were short of butter and somebody was coming for coffee, we would shake a gallon pail with cream in it until we had butter. If we forgot to open the lid every little while to let the air out, the lid would fly off and cream would be everywhere.

There was no electricity or telephone when we were growing up. Ironing was done with the sad irons heated on the stove. Mother did the washing when the six of us were young, in a tub and washboard. Snow was melted on the stove for the wash or the reservoir on the cook stove was filled with snow or ice from the ice that Dad had cut from "18" Lake.

Yes, times were hard and there was a lot of hard work.

Some times there were not two nickels to rub together but everyone was happy and' 'in the same boat" .

Mr. and Mrs. Nyquist lived on the farm until their retirement to Erickson in 1960. Mr. Nyquist passed away November 6, 1961. Mrs. Nyquist continued living in her Erickson home until August 1976 when she moved to the Parkland Home where she still resides at the age of 93.


by John and Art Nylen

Fred Anders Nylen (1877-1949) came to Canada from Sweden as a child with his mother, sister and brother. Anne Marie Solberg (1885-1958) arrived from Norway as a teenager with her younger brother to join the rest of the family who had emigrated earlier. Fred and Marie, whose families farmed in the Whitemouth district were married in October, 1909. They farmed there until 1925 when they moved to Minnedosa and then on to Marchwell, Saskatchewan.

They moved to the Scandinavia district in 1935 where they had purchased S.W. 24-18-18W. They had a family of twelve children including Alfred who died at birth. The older children, Anna, Lilly, Edward and Edith had already established their homes elsewhere but were frequent visitors to the farm.

Anna Georgina, born August 12, 1910, married Ernest Ericson of Minnedosa and they had five children. Anna passed away in 1977: Lilly Mary, born December 22, 1911, married Edward Frost, also of Minnedosa, and they had seven children; Edward, born May 5th, 1913, passed away in 1938 while working in a mine in Ontario;

Fred and Marie Nylen.

Axel Frederick, born December 24, 1914, married Anne Olenik of Brandon and they had three children. Axel passed away in 1962. The family still have a summer home at Ditch Lake; Edith, born August 15, 1916, spent many years working in Toronto. She passed away in 1983.

The following expanded histories are of those family members who lived on the farm with their parents and eventually established their own farms in the R.M. of Clan william :

Carl Cecil, born September 8, 1918, married Ruby Holm and they had six children Carol, Glenn, Donald,

Kenneth, Arthur, Leslie, Cecil and John Nylen.