|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 56 or Next - Page 58
Thomson was appointed manager followed by Bill Henderson 1974-1977, Earl Swain 1977-1978, Bill Preston 1978-1979, to the present manager, Tom Mochnacz. The present staff are Carol Hrynkiw, Darlene Slobodian, Dorothy Brewer, Charlene Geletchuk, Colleen Larson and Jackie Greavett.
ERICKSON CREDIT UNION LIMITED
The Erickson Credit Union was founded by a handful of people in the spirit of community growth and co operation. In 1952, at a cost of five dollars per share, ten local residents purchased one share each and their in vestments provided the initial assets for a banking in stitution. It was incorporated on September 2, 1952 as the Erickson Credit Union and was operated from the home of Mr. Ted Lee. With Mr. Lee acting as manager, the ten founding members formed the first board of Provisional Directors. They included Alfred Thoren (telephone agent), Fred John Rognan (farmer), Robert Harold Sanderson (farmer), Dorland Dale Burkett (store clerk), John Harvey Korberg (farmer), Glen Norman Shellborn (store manager), John Mathias Lee (farmer), Clifford Victor Carlson (farmer), William Frank Johnston (farmer) and Mary Ella Mae Thoren (farmer).
Present Erickson Credit Union.
Unfortunately, inexperience and the lack of sufficient lending monies did not see the Erickson Credit Union thrive immediately. This situation changed, however, when Bill Kalinowsky, a chartered accountant from the Co-op store, agreed to devote some of his time and at tention to the makings of a more organized and func tional credit union. In November of 1960 the position of manager passed to Ted Brewer and in 1963 to Mrs. Elvie Hutton. By 1964, there were approximately one hundred active members and the Credit Union had outgrown the office shared with the Co-op store. The Credit Union office was moved to the St. John law office building
where full service was now provided to its membership. During this time, the position of manager was filled by Ed Turner, who was also Mayor of Erickson.
Continued growth of the membership over the next few years necessitated even more office space and better business surroundings for the Erickson Credit Union and in 1968, a new building was constructed to house what was now a recognized community banking service. The official opening of the structure was attended by Walter Weir, then Conservative MLA for the district, who assisted in the ribbon cutting and open door ceremonies. New members joining the Erickson Credit Union at this time paid a twenty-five cent entrance fee and made an annual contribution of fifty cents to cover the operational costs of the Credit Union League.
By 1972, the membership had blossomed to five hundred and fifty and the new office was expanded and renovated further in 1977-1978. Ivan Humeniuk replaced Ed Turner as manager in 1971 and continued growth of the Erickson Credit Union provided the community at large with added financial opportunities, assistance and services. Throughout the 1970's, the Erickson Credit Union also supported and contributed to community projects such as the Erickson curling and skating rinks, the Erickson Legion, the personal care home and the local hockey team.
In the thirty-one years of its existence, the Erickson Credit Union has moved from a farm kitchen, with a staff of one, to an efficient office building of Main Street, with a staff of six. Since 1980, the Erickson Credit Union has operated a summer months branch office at Wasagaming, which has a staff of two. From the ten charter members to thousands and from a fledgling operation to a stable and recognized community service the Erickson Credit Union has maintained the original spirit of co-operation on which it had been founded.
BOARDING HOUSES, CAFES, COFFEE SHOPS
Boarding houses were the first eating establishment at Erickson. They served as a stopping place for commercial travellers who would arrive via train to make their visitations to the local merchants. It was also used by the settlers when they came into Erickson to transact their business. Three of such houses are known by us, the Millers, the Eastland's on Main Street and the Warren's on the S.W. corner of 2nd St. S. and Railroad Ave. Miller's later rebuilt their boarding house and the first hotel came into being. Meals were served in a common dining room. The hotel changed hands a few times and Mrs. La Tourelle was the last hotelier that served full course meals.
In the early 1920's, cafes made their appearance. Sam Wing had an establishment on the north side of 2nd St. S., on the site that would eventually be owned by M. Brekke. Mr. Sam Bolt opened an ice cream parlour and had fancy tables and chairs. He served real ice cream sundaes.
Bill Dare, affectionately called "D. Y. Billy" came