|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 576 or Next - Page 578
took the S.W. 3-1S-17W as his homestead. John died in 1911, at the age of 20 in a sawmill accident and is buried in Hilltop cemetery.
Jennie was born at Hilltop and attended school there.
Later she married Albin Wickstrom. (refer to Wickstrom, Albin and Jennie).
OSTROM, FRED AND JANE
by Isabell Anderson
Fredrick Gustav, son of Gustav and Anna Ostrom was born January 5, ISS7, at Kramfors, Vestermanlands, Sweden. In IS91, he came to Canada, residing in the Hilltop district on his parents' homestead N.E. 20-17- 17W. He attended Hilltop school and later applied for his own homestead N.E. 2S-1S-17W on May 25, 1906, and received the title on August 20,1913.
Over the years, he purchased S.W. 21-17-17W, received the title on February 27, 1920, from the Manitoba North West Railway. Fred later moved to N. W. 33-17-1SW, just east of the Village of Erickson and also farmed his father's homestead.
On December 10, 1925, Fred married Jane Bergwall, daughter of August and Linda Bergwall. They sold milk in Erickson for seven years and Rosie Corney who was staying with the Ostroms, delivered the milk for them. They also kept boarders in their home. In the fall of 1943, Fred and Jane and family moved to Erickson and the following summer, they moved to Victoria, B.C. and purchased a Rooming House, but returned to Erickson in May, 1946.
Upon the families return, they lived on First Street South known as the Old Tin house and over the years they built two homes where they resided, the Wally Yanchycki home and the Joe Fiarchuk home. During their years at Erickson, Jane cooked for the Highway Construction crews, Ivor's Grill and the Erickson Medical Nursing Unit. Fred and Jane sold their home and moved to Minnedosa where Jane was a cook at the Tremont Hotel, again they returned to Erickson, pur chased the home from Axel and Dagney Neilson which Fred had once built. He again sold the home and built the home where their daughter Isabell now resides.
Fred was an ardent fisherman and told this story. Back in the spring of IS92, when he was five, the creek running through their homestead flooded, and Fred, like all small boys had to investigate. He discovered that there were fish in the meadow and ran home to tell everyone. No one believed him. He persisted until his mother finally sent an older brother back with him to check out the "fish" story. Sure enough, Fred was right, so the family had a plentiful supply of fish for a long time, and Fred was inspired to continue fishing for many years.
In July, 1975, Fred became a resident of the Personal Care Home, Minnedosa, until his death on July 16, 1976. Jane was hospitalized for three years previous to her death on August 15, 1976.
Fred and Jane had one daughter, Isabell.
Isabell, born April 1, 1927, at Erickson where she attended school for nine years and then one year at Victoria, B.C. She was employed at a Laundry before
Jane and Fred Ostrom.
returning to Erickson in May, 1946. On November 22, 1946, Isabell married Clifford Anderson. (refer to Anderson, Clifford and Isabell).
PARROTT, RONALD AND BERYL
Ronald James Parrott, eldest son of William and Marjorie Parrott of Bethany, Manitoba, was born January 16, 1934, on N. 5-14-17W in the R.M. of Odanah.
Ronald and Beryl Margaret Thoren of Erickson were married on August 21, 1953, in the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Erickson with Pastor Vernon Sundmark of ficiating.
They travelled to Vegreville, Alberta, on their honey moon where Ron was an apprenticing mechanic. While there he became a Licensed Mechanic and is also a machinist and welder. Their first four children were born at Vegreville in a Catholic Hospital run by nuns. In 1955, the family returned to Manitoba where Ron purchased an old garage and home at Basswood, Manitoba, and he went into business for himself.
In the hot summer days, after baking bread with the wood stove, Beryl and the kids and some neighbor kids would pile into the cut-off convertible and go to Long Lake for a swim. For a couple of summers, they would store the Rangette from the curling rink for the use of it.
While at Basswood, another two children were born.
Ron decided to give up the garage business and go far ming for health reasons, so in 1964, they bought the S. W. 34-1S-1SW and the quarter kitty-corner to the east from Cliff Warrington, Erickson, Manitoba. All eight of us moved into a three-roomed house, and in November a daughter was born.
Ron welded an extra spring in the already installed set of bunk beds to make enough sleeping room. Eventually the two older boys moved out into the bunkhouse. A new one was built to accommodate the five boys when the old one burned down. During one summer Heather, Murray and Gerald slept in the barn loft.