|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 585 or Next - Page 587
Harvey worked for the Agriculture Extension Branch of Ducks Unlimited during the years 1977 and 1978. In 1979, he began farming as a full-time occupation, growing primarily hay and pedigreed alfalfa seed using leafcutter bees for pollination.
Carol worked as a relief pharmacist in various retail pharmacies in the surrounding area. In 1978, she began working as the hospital pharmacist at Minnedosa District Hospital. Her responsibilities there include providing medications to the Minnedosa, Rivers and Erickson Hospitals as well as the Minnedosa and Rivers Personal Care Homes.
Harvey's parents, David and Frances Pengelly, moved to the area from Guelph, Ontario in July, 1982. They had purchased the Bill Lukianchuk farm N.W. 2-18-17W, S.E. 3-18-17W and S.W. 3-18-17W in 1976. They built their home on the S.W. 3-18-17W and will be assisting in the farming operation.
Harvey and Carol Pengelly Home.
PETERSON, ANDREW AND MARIA
by Ethel Neilson
Andrew emigrated from Jamtland, Sweden, to the U.S.A. where he met and married Maria Anderson. In 190 1 they came to Canada to the Hilltop district of the R.M. of Clanwilliam settling on the S.E. of 26-17-18W near Otter Lake, which he purchased from the Hudson's Bay Co. Here they farmed until moving to Texas in 1923. His was the first auction sale in the community advertised as a cash sale. Hitherto auction purchases had usually been with time payments and Andrew, who was planning to move out of Canada, was concerned about receiving his money. On the advice of a neighbour, Mr. John Sundmark, he decided to try a cash sale. This proved a wise decision and began the trend of payment on pur chase.
The family were members of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church and Andrew had assisted in the building of the "new" church in Scandinavia. Maria was a member of the Dorcas Ladies' Aid.
When their sister-in-law, Anna Holmberg, passed away during the 'flu epidemic in the fall of 1918, her
youngest child, Oscar, was only two years old. Andrew and Maria offered to raise him and he became their son by adoption. They had three children of their own, their eldest having died in infancy. Alfred was born in the U.S.A. and Matilda in Hilltop. All of them attended Hilltop School. On the move to Texas they settled in the Lyford area where they spent the remainder of their lives.
Alfred married Elsie Lindgren of Chicago. They had no family and both passed away in Texas.
Matilda "Tilda" married Victor Johnson in Brownsville, Texas in 1925. They had one daughter, Lorraine, living in Ventura, Cal., and two sons, Leslie and Melvin. Melvin lives in Oregon after spending over thirty years in the U.S. Navy. Matilda is now widowed and lives in Stockton, California, where Leslie and his wife, Barbra, also reside.
After serving in the Second World War in the Medical Corps of the U.S. Army, Oscar opened a dry cleaning business in Raymondville, Texas. He married a school teacher, Marjorie Wilson, and they had two children. Marjorie still teaches in their home city.
The Andrew Peterson Family. Left to Right: Maria, Alfred, Matilda and A ndrew.
PETERSON, KNUT AND ESTHER
by Gunnar Peterson
Knut, was born on December 7, 1890, in Swanvik, Vastergotland, Sweden. He was a son of Per and Matilda Anderson. He immigrated to Canada in 1907 with his parents and brothers Nils and Charlie. He stayed with his brothers for awhile. Later he applied for a homestead at Foam Lake, Saskatchewan. He worked there for some time, was drafted and spent one year in the Army. He then came back to Erickson after the war.
In February, 1920, he married Esther Skoglund of