This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 636 or Next - Page 638

to Sweden to visit his aging mother. Again, he returned to Canada, where he bought land adjacent to brother August's land, but later made yet another trip back to Sweden, where he met his future wife, Anna Maria Anderson, whom he married, and after a couple of years arrived back in Canada with wife and a baby son, Anders Nils.

Anna Skoglund was born in Vastergotland, Sweden, on August 29, 1883. Before she arrived in Canada, her parents, Par and Matilda Anderson and three brothers; Kalle, Nils and Knut had immigrated here and it was through Kalle Parson (later changed to Peterson) that Olof became acquainted with his future wife, as ironically it was he that Olof met on his journey from New York to Canada, thus meeting his in-laws before his wife.

Soon after the arrival of my parents and little brother, my father built a home on his quarter section and by the time we moved in, another son, Gustaf and I, Harry, had joined our family and later on three sisters arrived, Sigrid, Elsa and Astrid and to finish off, another brother, Erick Oscar, swelling our family to four boys and three girls.

At the age of three, my elder brother Anders (Andy) was taken into the home of mother's brother, Nils and wife Adele Peterson to be raised by them. (refer to Peterson, Nils and Adele).

My brother Gustaf received his education at Lund school, then worked on the farm with father until the age of sixteen, when he was taken seriously ill and passed away, a sad happening to hit our family.

I, Harry, also received my education at Lund school, then tried to take the place of my lost brother, as father's helper on the farm. Later on I spent a few years as a carpenter on grain elevator buildings in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario but finally returned to take over the farming as my father by this time was up in age, and not well. Olof Skoglund died on July 21, 1937, after which I remained on the homeplace with mother. Never having married, after my sisters and young brother had left home, I lived with my mother until her passing on October 20, 1975, at the age of ninety-two.

My sister Sigrid, received her education in Lund school, then later married Harold Hansen, a farmer, and they lived on the land that my father's brother August first homesteaded on. They had two children; Larry and Linda. My sister passed away on April 18, 1972, after a long bout with cancer and my brother-in-law Harold died in July, 1978.

My sister Elsa also received her education in Lund School and later married Floyd Wilson, a farmer in the Clanwilliam district. They have three children; Anne, Gilbert and Ralph. Elsa and Floyd are now retired and living in Nelson, B.C.

My sister Astrid received her education at the Hilltop school and she too, married a farmer, Robert Johnson of the Hilltop-Erickson district. They had three children; Joyce, Judy and Elwood. Robert passed away in Oc­ tober, 1962, after which my sister worked as supervisor at various Indian residential homes and later married again, to Maurice Godin of Kenora, Ontario, where they now reside.

My young brother Eric Oscar worked along with me, on the farm after finishing his education at the Hilltop school, until the outbreak of the Second World War, when he joined the Army and eventually went overseas, where he was wounded in combat, thus returning to Canada as an amputee, having lost a leg. He later married Evelyn Nunn, a Winnipeg girl, and they had two children; Darlene and Eric Bruce. My brother lost his wife in a car accident, which also almost took his life. Evelyn died in December, 1967. Eric Oscar lived at Camp Morton at that time, but later moved to Winnipeg. Several years later he married again to Clara Struve. They are retired now and living in Winnipeg, Manitoba.


by the/amity

Bert and his wife Ruth came to the Erickson district on November I, 1937, from Dunblane, Saskatchewan. The trip was made in three full days by Model T Ford truck, a distance of 425 miles. Bert and Ruth were accompanied with their children. The machinery, household effects, cattle and horses came by train and were attended by sons Herbert and Albert.

The family settled and farmed the half section now owned by Les Synchyshyn. Later they farmed the land now owned by Harry Brewer, before moving to the Village of Erickson.

While living in Erickson, they looked after the W.1.

Rest Room. Ruth was also in charge of the W.1. Library for many years, she had a Life Membership in the Erickson Women's Institute and the Erickson Ladies' Curling Club. In 1963, they celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary, with their entire family being home to celebrate with them. •

Ruth passed away in March, 1966, and then Bert resided with his son Herb until his death in 1977. Bert and Ruth Skogstad had a family of five sons and two daughters.

Roy was born at Dunblane, Saskatchewan, where he received his education. He came t') Erickson, Manitoba, in October, 1937, by train with his Uncle Tony Holmlund's stock and machinery. Roy took a course in barbering at the Mohlar school in Winnipeg during the winter of 1937, and soon after, he worked for Edwin Peterson and, then to the Clarence Kingdon farm, at Crocus for two years before going to British Columbia to work on a dairy farm and at a logging camp for two years. He returned to Saskatchewan for a short time and then rented Thos Mcinnes farm for two years. In 1944, he married Mae Shell born and continued to farm, rented land from P .K. Peterson, Andy Rognan, Mrs. North and Philip Gusdal. The last being the Strand farm until the fall of 1955, when they moved to Erickson for the winter, living at the home of Roy and Martha Shellborn, while they were at the coast. While living at Erickson, he had the Dray business, shovelling many tons of coal and a lot of snow. In June of 1956, they had an auction sale and left for B.C. to make their home. Roy worked at the Whonnock Lumber Company from August, 1956, until his retirement in April, 1979. Roy and Mae were active in