This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 69 or Next - Page 71

became postmaster and served until 1941 when Mr. Frank Johnston took over the office and continued until the office was closed in December, 1943. Crocus Hill patrons then were served by Rural Route No.3. Mail was delivered to Crocus Post Office from the Clanwilliam office. Kerr's Lake post office served the eastern part of the municipality with Mr. Kostiw as postmaster until the office was closed in 1954. Mail for this area was then rerouted to the Mountain Road Office.

The Canadian Northern Railway was built from Neepawa, north and west to Russell and came to this area in 1905. Pioneer settlers in the north and west sections of the municipality began to agitate at this time to have a post office established in Erickson. A notation of March 14, 1907 is as follows - "the settlers around the Erickson station on the C.N. line are complaining that they do not have proper postal service facilities. The nearest Post Office being at Scandinavia several miles to the east, and because the Canadian Northern carries mail to other points on the rail line, it is felt that there should be a postal service at this point, and it would entail little or no expense to have this service." Henceforth a post office was established at the Albert Erickson home on 32-17- 18W. The first name chosen for this office was "Avesta", but after only a few months the name "Erickson" was chosen by the postal department and the date of Mr. Erickson's official appointment was the 25th day of the 3rd month, 1908. Albert Erickson was postmaster for five years until the end of December, 1913. It is told that Mr. Erickson used the drawers in his wife's sewing machine to sort his mail. Mr. Henry Miller's official appointment as postmaster at the Erickson office was on January 1,ยท 1914. Mr. Miller erected a new building early in 1914 for his office and in the mid 1930's, a new foundation was built and the Post Office building was moved onto it, facing due south on 2nd St. Mr. Miller, with the assistance of his wife Mary

First Post Office. the Albert Erickson home.


and family members, continued as postmaster until 1944. The first mail boxes were wooden and were not lock boxes. If an individual wanted a lock box he was required to put on his own lock. The postal department later installed metal "combination lock boxes" and in the late 1940's "Key boxes" were installed, and a rental fee was collected once a year.

Linus Miller was appointed postmaster on the retirement of his father on May 1, 1944, and he continued in this position until his retirement on March 4, 1971. He also served as a "Regional Inspector" for a number of years, for offices in the surrounging area.

Delivering mail to and from Erickson.

Since the Erickson post office became a regional distributing point, mail has been transported and delivered by many drivers and modes of transportation. Mail arrived in Erickson via rail service on Monday, Wednesday and Friday of each week and dispatched on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. A daily truck service was established in 1959, when the passenger and express and mail service was discontinued on the C.N. rail line.

In the early years, all mail for Scandinavia, Danvers and Hilltop was driven from Minnedosa (later from Clanwilliam) by horse-drawn vehicles and later by truck. Many drivers endured great difficulties during stormy weather and bad road conditions. A news quote by a Scandinavia news correspondent to the Minnedosa Tribune in 1900 states - "the residents of the area hoped that the government would again secure the services of Mr. Halpenny as mail carrier. During the past four years, Mr. Halpenny had never missed delivering the mail on the required day, and only twice has he been one hour late. Such a record is hard to beat, where twenty miles of bad roads and stormy weather had to be contended with."

Mail was dispatched from the Erickson office, from the early years of its opening - to Danvers and Scan­ dinavia, and later to Bethel, Onanole, Crawford Park and to Wasagaming during the summer tourist months. Mr. Best of Crawford Park was one of the early mail drivers and folk living along his route tell of how prompt his schedule was, "one could almost set their clocks by the time he passed their homes." Later Mr. C. R. Baxter was mail carrier, followed by S.R. Steele. Mr. A.R. Henson was a summer driver to Wasagaming. In the